Chapter 1: The 19th Birthday

CHAPTER 1: The 19th Birthday

 Everyone knew how important the Princess's 19th birthday was, for many reasons

Everyone knew how important the Princess's 19th birthday was, for many reasons. It meant the sole heir was an adult, an eligible bachelorette, and it would be the first time the world got to see her. She was the crown's darkly veiled secret, only to be seen by close imperial confidants. Any time there were visitors or important events, the phantom girl was whisked to a tightly guarded tower. Any questions about her were dodged and avoided with a smile.

A wide array of theories circulated, from simple explanations to fantastical outlandish claims. A large part of the kingdom believed the Princess had perished. The monarchy was just pretending to have an heir, so the fam ily's future appeared strong. Optimists proposed that the Princess was so beautiful her parents hid her away from suitors till she was an adult. More cynical people said she was an embarrassment and brought shame to the country, so she was hidden from the public. Even with all of the thoughtful explanations, and wild conspiracies, no one ever guessed the truth.

The celebration was announced a year before it took place, as so much work had to be done. It was to be the event of the century, the mysterious veil was going to be lifted. Princess Melody was going to be debuted to the world, her people, high society, royalty, and of course, many suitors. The kingdom was fascinated, royalty and nobility of neighboring nations abuzz with speculation.

 The kingdom was fascinated, royalty and nobility of neighboring nations abuzz with speculation

Preparations were massive in scale, and the entire kingdom contributed in one way or another. The palace requested farmers grow hundreds of exotic flora for decor, and fields of herbs and crops to feed the incoming travelers. The finest artists created hundreds of elegant invitations. Metalworkers and jewelers received an onslaught of orders.

After a massive purchase of exquisite fabric, ribbon, and thread, the crown sent out a notice. Any seamstress, weaver, or embroiderer could report to the castle and find paying work. They needed intricately detailed dresses, new uniforms for staff, drapes, curtains... the list was endless.

The kingdom was thriving, as it had 20 years ago. No one was without work, trade was bustling, and hundreds of incredibly wealthy attendees would flock into the kingdom. Even the weather improved, raining enough to make plants blossom, but never storm.