02. we meet aunty em and her stony gaze

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter two: we meet aunty em and her stony gaze

[a/n]: excited to continue! i'm not used to writing for tv shows...so it'll be interesting to write a more long-form piece while also keeping up with the show. so here's episode two! also, did you catch my amazing pun in the title? haha...(please laugh)
━━━

━━━ "THE ORACLE HAS CONFIRMED WHAT we expected, that this quest will proceed toward the Underworld, where you will confront the god who has rebelled against his brothers," Chiron announced, standing regally beside Mr. D, who was clad in long denim shorts and a button-up shirt, his hair wild and messy (as it usually was).

"I told you!" Annabeth hissed, poking Isabel sharply in the ribs.

"I get it, Annabeth, this is the fifth time you've said that today," Isabel scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "I just don't get what's so special about this guy."

"You're stronger than you look, Elle, just like Percy," Annabeth said, receiving an awful glare from her friend. "Oh, you know I didn't mean it like that. It's a good thing; you only show your worth to those who deserve to see it."

Isabel tilted her head in consideration. She'd never thought about it that way.

"Don't get me wrong," Annabeth continued. "I'm still on the fence - he doesn't seem the brightest - but clearly, he can help me somehow."

"Hades," Chiron said. "The entrance to Hades' domain lies under the city of Los Angeles. This is where you will journey to. Time is short." His gaze transferred to Percy, who stood on his right. "I have selected our most compelling candidates, from which you will choose three to join you on this quest and ensure that we succee-"

"Annabeth and Isabel," Percy interrupted, determination in his eyes.

Isabel's eyes flashed; why had he chosen her? It wasn't like they knew each other well. Something about this boy intrigued her, and she disliked it greatly.

She was used to her own stories; a world where she created the plot, she created the mysteries, she created the secrets, and she knew all. And she enjoyed it.

"Customarily," Chiron said, his voice wavering, "one waits to at least hear a name or two before choosing. Are you sure you don't want to hear more?"

"This thing, Zeus' master bolt, we need to get it back, right?" Percy reasoned, looking up at Chiron.

"Yes."

"And it's gonna be hard to get, yes?" Percy urged.

"Extraordinarily."

"And if the mission required someone to push me down a flight of stairs for it to succeed, you'd want someone who won't hesitate when they do it."

Isabel bit back a smile, pressing her lips together tightly.

"And what about Miss Bennet?" Chiron inquired. It wasn't that she wasn't capable; otherwise, he wouldn't have even considered her for the lineup. She was very intelligent, which was useful. But the girl's muscle was not ample, and she was not a fighter, that much was clear.

"She's smart," Percy answered shortly, shrugging his small shoulders. "And she could be our scribe?"

Annabeth snorted at the joke at Isabel's expense, covering her mouth with her palm.