chapter two- bonfire

"Hey, guys, I see the smoke from the fire!" Belly exclaims, pointing down the beach.

"Sure, like 1,000 feet away," I sigh.

I stop in my tracks, tired from dragging my feet through the sand. My shorts are riding up, and my feet hurt. I lift my head back up, knowing that getting to the bonfire is closer than going back home.

"Okay, I'm fine. Let's go," I declare, mustering up energy.

"That's the spirit," Taylor says.

We walk for a few more minutes, and I spot the drinks.

"That's got to be a safety hazard," I say, pointing to the drinks' close proximity to the fire.

"Is the problem warm vodka or the fact that alcohol is highly flammable?" Taylor teases, mischief gleaming in her eyes.

"Both?" I say, a laugh escaping.

"C'mon, Belly, you get the first shot, of course." I pour a shot of liquor into Belly's cup. She takes it and starts gagging.

"Oh my god, that was so bad."

"The end result beats the process. Pour me up, Taylor!" I grab a cup from the table, and Taylor pours me a good 2.5 shots worth of liquor.

Downing it in one gulp, I cough uncontrollably. "That's disgusting... what is that?"

Taylor inspects the bottle and laughs, "It's Smirnoff."

"Okay, I'm done with that." I say, sticking my tongue out. Grabbing three white claws off the table, I toss one to Belly.

"Thank you!" She says, grinning. Already tipsy, she's proving to be an extreme lightweight.

Tucking a white claw in my back pocket, I crack open the other one and begin to drink. Our attention shifts to Taylor as she boldly knocks back five shots in quick succession.

"Okay, let's go," Taylor says, crushing her plastic cup and tossing it aside.

We follow Taylor as she finds a spot nearby, laying out a blanket on the sand. Seating ourselves in a circle, we decompress. Taylor pulls out a whole bottle of vodka from her dress.

"When did you take that?" Belly asks.

"Don't worry about it," Taylor winks. Belly gives her a disappointed mom look and sighs.

"It's Tito's, not Smirnoff. I saw it under the rest of the drinks," Taylor explains.

"Well, thank you, Miss Sticky Fingers. This should last us the rest of the summer," I laugh with Taylor.

"I think you need another shot, guys." Taylor grins devilishly.

"Always the instigator," I turn to Belly, "don't take it if you don't want to."

"I'll be fine, pour me up, T!" Belly shouts

Taylor stands up and pours the vodka into Belly's mouth. "BLEGH!" Belly says and shakes her head, wiping her mouth with a sour expression.

"Okay, hit me, Taylor." I open my mouth, and Taylor pours the vodka into my mouth, a bit less liberally. It burns my throat as it goes down.

"Fuck," I say, looking over at Belly, who is grinning. I start to laugh at her drunken expression. I stand up and dust the sand off my shorts to go explore the scene more.

"Okay, guys, I'll be right back with reports of what's going on."

Belly drunkenly throws a thumbs up, "Oh, please tell if there are cute boys!" Belly says loopily.