chapter three- no regrets

"Belly, are you okay?" I shout over the commotion, my heart pounding in my chest.

She winces, holding her eye, "I'm fine, Get them to stop!"

I turn my attention to Conrad, watching the situation escalate which draws more attention from the gathering crowd. Amidst the chaos, Taylor appears, her eyes widening at the scene unfolding.

"What the hell is going on?" she exclaims

Taylor, now at our side, surveys the fight. "This is escalating quickly."

"Yeah, no kidding. I don't think we should get involved." I reply, casting a concerned look at Belly. "Are you sure you're okay?"

She nods and watches as Steven pulls Conrad and the guy apart

"What the fuck, Conrad?" Steven exclaims and turns behind him, pointing to the rest of us.  Conrad looks up at him dazed, with a beer in his hand, sweating and out of breath.

"Belly what the fuck are you doing here and what are you wearing?" Steven says disapointedly

Belly pulls down her dress and crosses her arms, "I can be here if I want!" She says childishly

I cringe at her high pitch, realizing shes not making a good case for herself.

Before Steven can get a word out, the police pull up on the beach and everyone begins running. Belly, Taylor and I scramble to get our stuff and start running down the beach. 

As we flee, Jeremiah, seemingly taken aback, questions, "Did you guys walk here?" He slaps a hand over his head in exasperation.

We all nod reluctantly, and Jeremiah, urging us to hurry, instructs, "Just-just get in the car."

Rushing to the Jeep, Belly claims the shotgun seat, Jeremiah takes the wheel, and Conrad joins Taylor and me in the back. However, realization strikes me—we are missing someone.

"Jere, wait! Steven!" I shout, prompting Jeremiah to abruptly stop the car. "Shit. I'll be right back," he says, rushing back to the beach to retrieve Steven.

The tension inside the car is strong. Fortunately, Taylor is wedged in the middle seat between Conrad and me, serving as a barrier between us.

A knock at the driver's seat window startles us. A police officer shines a light into the car, scrutinizing each of our faces. "Have any of you been drinking?" the officer inquires.

Frustration and anxiety surge as I put my head in my hands and let out a sigh.

We really should have stayed home.

The police officer's question hangs in the air, and a heavy silence surrounds the interior of the car. I can feel the collective tension as the officer's flashlight scrutinizes each face, searching for any signs of guilt. My mind races, trying to recall the events leading up to this point, wondering where we went wrong.

After what feels like an eternity, I gather the courage to respond, "No, officer, we haven't been drinking. We were just trying to get away from the chaos back there."

The officer narrows their eyes, seemingly unconvinced. "Is that so? Well, we received reports of a disturbance on the beach, and you all seem to be in a hurry. Mind stepping out of the car for a moment?"

My heart sinks, but we get out. The officer instructs us to line up on the side of the road, their flashlight now probing our faces more intently. A sense of vulnerability sets in as we await the officer's next move. My palms are clammy and I am stressed.

Jeremiah returns with Steven, both looking somewhat confused. The officer shifts their attention to Steven, questioning him about the altercation on the beach. Steven, still caught off guard, stammers through an explanation, attempting to justify the chaotic scene.