chapter one- the journey

"I'm driving," I tell Taylor with a wide grin on my face

"Oh please, take the wheel. I can't stand taking the bus anymore." Taylor sighs in relief

"All those different scents, I couldn't take it either. So happy I finally have my license." I giggle and wave my car keys that have my name, Dylan, written on it.

Taylor bumps into my shoulder and laughs.

"Finally your perks of being the oldest are showing."

Taylor and I are going on our annual trip to Cousins Beach tomorrow to give Belly company for the summer. We've been doing this forever, it all started a couple years back.

-8 years ago-

I rub the eyeshadow applicator into the deepest blue shade on the palette and smear it on Taylor's eyelids.

"Brings out your poopy brown eyes perfectly!!" I stick my tongue out at her

"Hey! My mom says my eyes are hazel," 8-year-old Taylor says with a forceful shove.

"Anyways, your eyes are the poopy brown ones, but I love them," Taylor says with a huge grin

We have a fitful of giggles until my mom interrupts us, handing me her phone.

"Here, Isabela is calling."

I answered and put it on the speaker

"BELLY!!!" Taylor and I scream

"Guys...I'm so sad" Belly says between sniffles and sobs

What does Belly have to feel sad for? She's at the best beach house for the summer. Whenever she sends us pictures, it makes us wish we were there too.

"Why what happened Belly?" Taylor says with furrowed brows and one messily done shimmery blue eyelid.

"Answer my facetime, okay?" I say, grabbing the phone and switching the call

Belly picks up and her nose is red from crying.

"Belly, what happened!" I exclaim

"Well, the boys are leaving me out again. They are playing on the Xbox and they won't let me play too. They said it's only for boys."

"Why don't you go play with Susannah, isn't she nice?"

"She's old, it's no fun! She and my mom always make me sit with them while they cook, but the boys are out having fun on the beach." Belly sighs.

Taylor and I look at each other. What could we do about it?

"Well anyways, I wish you guys were here I just wanted to see you." She says rubbing the tears from her eyes.

"Sorry, Belly. We wish we were there to give you company too. Well, you'll be back before school anyway. We can go back to school

shopping together." Taylor explains

"Right... why is your eye blue?" Belly questions

"Oh, Dyl is doing our makeup like mermaids." Taylor laughed and looked at me

"Oh.. okay well I guess I'll see you guys later," Belly says, sullenly

"Well, it's not fun without you Belly!!" I say to cheer her up since she's probably feeling left out

Taylor nods in agreement

Taylor and I have always been a bit more mature than Belly. She has a summer birthday so she's always been a bit younger than us, despite being in the same grade. Taylor and I have always spent summer without Belly, so we went through monumental moments together, but Belly was always a couple hundred miles away, at Cousins Beach in Massachusetts.