4.

June 3rd, 2023

Carson's POV:

I think this might be my favorite thing I've ever done. And we've only been here for fifteen minutes.

The moment we were out of the No Wake Zone, Quinn had us flying around the lake, taking us to what he claims to be the "ideal spot". 

Sitting next to Sadie and across from Jack and Luke, I'm having the time of my life. Gazing around me in awe as other boats fade into the distance. 

When Quinn finds a spot he likes, he slows the boat to a stop, turning around to face us. "All right, who wants to go first?" he asks, moving some stuff around in the front and retrieving a weird looking board. 

"I do, I do!" Sadie screams, jumping up and down.

Putting on the life jacket and quickly sliding into the water, Sadie gets into a weird stance on the surfboard like thing and grabs hold of a rope. Sadie gives Quinn a thumbs up, giving him the okay to start the boat back up.

"What the hell is that?" I ask, turning myself to face Luke and Jack.

"It's the wake board. It's like mini surfing off the back of the boat" Luke replies before going into this long story about last summer and the wake board. 

Making sure I laugh and nod at parts of his story, I turn my attention back to Sadie when he's done, making sure to get a good look at what she is doing. 

"Looks kinda hard tho." I say, referencing Luke's story about how easy it really is. 

"Just takes some practice. By the end of the summer you'll probably have it" Jack says, briefly flickering his eyes between me and the board.

"If not we can always get the tube out and go tubing off the back" Quinn adds over his shoulder. 

Once Sadie gets tired of her turn and allows Luke, Jack, and Quinn to all take their turns, everyone turns to me. Quinn being the last one to ride hands me the jacket before retaking his place at the wheel. 

"Ohh no guys. I've never done this before. I'd much prefer the tube" I say, not picking up the jacket and instead pushing it away from me.

"Aw come on Carson you have to at least try it once. It's really not that hard" Sadie tries.

"Easy for you to say, you've been doing it for summers" I shoot back, trying my hardest to show I really don't want to go. Looking at Luke and Jack with pleading eyes all I get in return is Luke smiling and Jack standing up to re-hand me the life vest. 

"Come on Carson, Huggy will go slow and I'll hold your hands" Jack tries to reason with me.

Trying to divert the attention away from me, I quickly snap my head to look at Quinn.

"Huggy? Who and what is a Huggy?" I ask, hoping they take the bait.

"It's Quinn. We'll explain it later. Now put the vest on" Jack orders, taking my arms and helping me put them in. 

Rolling my eyes and making it as hard as possible for Jack to put my arms in the vest, he finally gets it zipped up, steering me towards the wakeboard. Explaining everything out for me, he helps me into the water making sure to hold my hands the entire time. 

"Alright Quinn she's ready. Go slow" Jack says over his shoulder not taking his eyes off of me. 

Quinn starts up the boat and I'm enjoying myself until I faintly hear Sadie tell Quinn to speed the boat up. Quinn, forgetting that I'm new at this, listens to her, and speeds up. Instantly I shut my eyes becoming scared shitless.