CHAPTER 12

A couple of days later, after the eventful encounter with Riley that generated some teasing from Nick and Kevin, Joe had decided that it was time to face the music, and sent Sophie a text, saying that they could meet that day.

The weather had finally decided to be nicer on them, and, after a few days of the city being flooded by heavy rain, he'd decided that it was time. The couple of days he'd had for himself gave him the opportunity to put some melodies and lyrics on paper. But it mostly gave him the chance to think about everything that had happened recently – and what he would tell Sophie when he'd find himself in front of her, after months of barely talking to each other.

They'd decided to remain in good terms, as much as you can do when getting a divorce from the person you swore you would spend your life with, and they'd left their respective lawyers to handle the situation, but Joe wanted to get some sort of closure, and judging by Sophie's reply, it seemed to be her wish as well.

After a morning of boring meetings with the same, regular questions, Joe made his way to a small coffee shop he'd never been to yet, but according to Sophie, it was a must-try in Chelsea. Once he'd arrived, he made his way inside, not before shaking his head at the sign on the door. Maybe Sophie was just pulling his leg – she was known to play tricks on people, because the coffee shop was actually called Now Or Never Coffee.

''How ironic and convenient.'' he said to himself before walking in.

It barely took him a few seconds before Joe spotted the young woman sitting at a table, closer to the back of the shop. Her hair, now a deep red, easily recognizable in the crowd. He made his way towards her, noticing that two to-go cups were already waiting on the table.

Sophie looked up from her phone, hearing his footsteps. ''I didn't think you would really come, to be honest.'' She said to him, smiling slightly.

Joe shrugged, not offended by the remark. ''I didn't think you would actually ask me to meet in person.''

There was a moment of awkward silence between the two where the room around them suddenly seemed more interesting. Before Joe could find the right words to say, to break the heavy silence hanging above them, Sophie beat him to it.

''I hear things are going great. With the band and all. You look great, too.''

''Thanks. Yeah we're working on some stuff right now. A lot of projects. But I could say the same for you!'' he teased pointing at her bright hair color. ''I like it. It's a nice change.''

Sophie took a sip of her drink. ''Well, you know what they say... When a girl changes her hair, she changes her life.'' She confessed innocently.

That comment could have been made to roast him a little bit, Joe knew his ex-wife was known for her witty comments and attitude, but he didn't feel like his feelings were hurt her words. Of course he'd been affected by the fact that their marriage couldn't make it through many challenges, but, looking back, he knew that it was probably better that way.

''Let's not beat around the bush there's a reason why we're here, Sophie. To make amends and move on. Whatever that means for each of us, right?''

She nodded her head, agreeing with him. The teasing was now long gone.

''I loved you, Sophie.'' he sighed trying to find the right words to say, once again. ''And maybe a part of me will always do. Or maybe it's the idea of us that I've had for years. We both wanted different things at some point and we just... drifted apart, I guess. Can we at least agree on that?''

Sophie, who had been sitting in silence for a few minutes, arms crossed against her chest, sighed and stared at him. She knew he was right and, truth be told, she shared the same sentiment.