CHAPTER 9

Sunday had finally arrived, and it was their last day at the cabin. Later on, during the evening, they would all make their way home – except for Nick and Priyanka who would spend a few days in New York before flying back to their home in Los Angeles. Nick even went as far as to invite Riley for a few days if she ever wanted to escape the cold of the East Coast.

The previous night, after having danced and fooled around like children in the middle of the living room, the girls decided to let the men come up with an idea for dinner – which turned out to be a real disaster, for the most part. Kevin having two daughters back home claimed that he was an excellent cook but declared that making dinner with his brothers was not something he would try again anytime soon.

Instead, they settle for pancakes and mimosa – because according to Joe, there was always room for mimosas, no matter what the food was. But no one complained about it, after all, he was pretty good at making them.

They spent their last day walking outside, enjoying the weather and talking about what they would be doing for the holidays. Kevin and Danielle wanted to spend Christmas at home, in New Jersey, as it was easier for the girls and closer to Dani's family. Nick and Priyanka planned on spending Christmas with the Jonas family and maybe go on a trip somewhere and Joe... well that question remained to be answered.

''What about you Riley? Any plans?'' Nick asked as he walked hand in hand with Priyanka.

Riley shrugged and bit her lip, trying to think of what she would do during the most festive time of the year. ''I honestly don't know. I'll spend it with Mindy, obviously.''

Joe frowned and looked at her. ''Who's Mindy?''

''That's my orange cat. I left her with my neighbors for the weekend.''

''So you have an orange cat...and you're a redhead. That's fitting.''

Nicholas, who was walking in front of his older brother almost stopped in his tracks and gave his brother a funny look. ''That's the most random thing you've ever said, Joe.''

But Riley wasn't insulted, instead she laughed at the remark and gently elbowed Joe in the ribs. ''I'll take that as a compliment. Although I don't have the same crazy energy as orange cats usually have.''

Joe smirked. ''That's a shame. I wouldn't be against it.''

Riley tried to keep her composure but deep down, she was freaking out. She was probably reading too much into it, and she was used to her brain creating scenarios, but she knew she had heard him right. Was that Joe Jonas actually hitting on her?

__

Sunday night, Joe had decided to make the drive from their cabin to New York City, the place he liked to call home. At first, it was planned that he would spend the night at the cabin and drive in the morning, but the forecast predicted some heavy rain, so he wanted to be safe. And driving would hopefully help clear his mind, too.

But as he sat in front of his apartment, the music being the only sound in his car, he found himself thinking. Thinking about the amazing weekend they'd just had, thinking about the message he'd received from Sophie a few hours ago – saying she'd be in New York in a couple days and would love to meet up with him. For what reason, she didn't say. He just knew that she had a habit of coming out of nowhere and wreck his life.

But he would show up. Because he was curious to know what she had to say, and because this time, he wanted some sort of closure. They'd broken up a little bit over 6 months ago, and the media was having a field day since then. He had been called names and painted as the villain in the story, but he had to make it clear with her, for his own sake.

Still sitting in his car, he grabbed his phone from the front pocket of his backpack and texted her back. Name the time and place, I'll be there.
He went to put back the phone, when he realized that a piece of paper with his name scribbled on it was peeking out of his bag. Curious, he opened it and couldn't help but laugh, shaking his head. It was a drawing of some sort of cocktail, with a few ice cubes, but the crazy part was the skeleton laying down on the ice cubes – as if it were chilling.

Underneath the drawing, were also scribbled a few words that made the young man's smile bigger. You've scored some points this weekend. You've earned it, Mr. Mimosa.

He put back the piece of paper in his backpack and removed the key from the ignition. Grabbing his phone, he dialed a number that he now knew by heart, having called it multiple times already.

''Hey Chris, it's Joe. Yeah, I know it's been a while! Hey dude are you free soon for a new impulsive tattoo?''

__

Monday morning, Riley was back in her familiar bed, and she was glad that she had decided to take the day. As awesome as the weekend had been, they'd drank a little too much and she was now reminded that she was not in her early twenties anymore. She would wait a few hours before picking up her cat from her neighbors.

Apparently, something, or rather someone, was against the idea of her getting more sleep, as the phone, left on the pillow next to her, started ringing. Groaning, she picked it up and realized that it was her assistant and close friend from the art gallery in New York, Becca.

''Hey Becca, what's up?''

''Nothing much boss, sorry for calling this early I know you just got back last night. I didn't want to call you earlier and ruin your weekend but...''

Riley sat up in bed and cut her off. ''Becca just tell me. Clearly, it's important.''

''Well, I got a call from our landlord yesterday. According to him our business is struggling and there's a lot of businesses closing right now. He's scared that it's going to affect his rent.''

Riley rolled her eyes, having heard that same argument before. Their landlord, Mr. Cattaneo, was an old man who couldn't fathom that two women in their 30s could run a business and, without tooting her own horn, be good at it.

''Don't worry about it. I'll be in New York tomorrow.''

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just to be clear, the tattoo is a complete creation  for the story.
I also feel like it's important to specify that I do not have any hate towards Sophie.
My semester is starting next week, so I hope I will be able to update often.
I absolutely love this story and it makes me happy to write it. :)
I hope you guys still enjoy reading it!
xo