021, 𝗔𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲 (𝟴𝘅𝟬𝟭, 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗙𝗮𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴)

Start from the beginning

"Yes," the paramedic said as Alex jumped into the back of it.

April frowned. "Wait. Wait. I didn't tell you you could go. I need you here!" She yelled. But it didn't do anything.

Cassie turned to Ellie. "I knew she wouldn't be able to do it. She's quirky though," she told her.

Ellie nodded in agreement.

****

Mark and Derek walked over to Jackson. Mark knew how Cassie was one of Jackson's closest friends. And his sister was in love with him. Even though she was denying it. So he wanted to mentor him. He knew he had promise.

Jackson looked up. "Jerry Hoffman. CT showed a traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage. I cleaned and splinted his humerus fracture and sutured his facial lacerations," he told them.

Derek nodded. "Well, he won't need surgery. But let's do a neuro exam every two hours just to make sure," he said.

Mark looked to Jackson's sutures. He frowned. "Let's take a look at your handiwork. Oh, dear god. My grandmother could sew up a stuffed turkey..."

"It was..."

"Better than this," Mark said. He knew he was being harsh. But he wanted Jackson to do well and go far.

Jackson sighed. "It was pretty jagged in there. So..."

"You ever heard of burying your stitches?" Mark asked as he looked to him.

"Alright so I will fix it," Jackson said.

April walked over. "Oh Jackson. There's a new patient in bed three," she told him.

Jackson sighed. "Kinda busy April."

"Yeah. Kinda busy turning this guy into Frankenstein. Go. Go. Make yourself useful," Mark said.

"Alright. I'm gonna fix this."

Mark said nothing as Jackson walked off. Derek looked to him. "Don't you think you're being a little hard on the kid? You know he's one of Cassie's best friends," he said.

Mark shrugged. "He's a lightweight. Be thankful you have Meredith," he told his friend.

Derek shook his head. "She was fired."

"She okay?"

"I don't know."

****

Cassie had been in daycare with Rosie for a little bit. She missed her baby. Jackson walked over to her. "Sloan is an ass," he said as he looked to her.

Cassie grinned. "What did he do?" She asked.

"He told me my sutures were turning the patient into Frankenstein," Jackson said.

Cassie nodded and winked. "He's Mark. No one does good sutures apart from him. I don't know why you picked him for your mentor. He's an amazing guy. But he's not the best mentor," she told him.

"I thought about Neuro. But then I saw how Sloan changes people's lives. And I wanted to do that," Jackson said.

Cassie smiled. "So you're saying Mark inspired you? Go tell him that. You'll be the son he never had," she said. She grinned. "Just don't let him get you pregnant. He's very fertile."

"You're not funny."

"No. I'm hilarious. Duh."

Jackson smiled. He looked to her. "I'm glad you didn't die."

"Thanks. Me too?" Cassie said. She grinned. "Tell Ellie how you feel. You both look like you're eager to rip each other's clothes off. Plenty of on call rooms," she said.

****

Cassie saw Mark and walked over to him. She smiled. "Jackson told me you told him he's turning your patient into Frankenstein. Be nice," she said.

"Baby I am nice. I'm trying to teach him."

"I know that. But be a little nicer. He did supply me with peanut butter cups when I was pregnant. Therefore feeding Rosie," Cassie told him.

Mark kissed her lips and smirked. "You're lucky you're cute. Got time to fake make another baby?" He asked.

Cassie shook her head. "No more babies. Rosie is number one. Okay?"

"No but we can fake make babies. Come on Cass."

Cassie rolled her eyes but smiled. She kissed his lips gently. "I'll see you tonight. Remember, be nice to Jackson."

****

Mark walked over to Jackson and his patient. He was willing to give Jackson the opportunity to show him what he was made of.

Jackson smiled. "Dr. Sloan, I think you're gonna be really impressed by the buried sutures I did here. After you," he said.

Jackson opened the curtain. Revealing a woman lying in the bed instead of their male patient.

Mark turned to look at Jackson. "That is impressive. It is. Gender reassignment, huh? Yeah. Normally they don't teach that till next year," he told him.

Jackson frowned. He shook his head. "That's a mistake. This is not..."

"Call me when you find the right patient. I don't have time for this," Mark told him as he turned and walked off.

Jackson sighed. He knew how he was interested in plastics. But he didn't think Mark was interested in teaching him.

****

Cassie and Ellie were finishing up with their patient. Ellie sighed. "Callie asked me to have Sofia tonight. I want to. I just... I don't know. It's hard for me. I love her, don't get me wrong. But it's hard for me. I don't have the bond with her that I do with Rosie," she said.

Cassie smiled. "I get you. I feel the same. Not the whole mom thing. But knowing that Mark got someone else pregnant. It still hurts sometimes. But your bond with Rosie is because you helped save her life. You kept her alive."

"How is she?"

Cassie rolled her eyes but smiled. "You saw her a couple of hours ago. She's fine. She's safe in daycare," she told her.

"Hello. She's my niece. I love her."

"She loves you too."

Ellie looked to her. "You do realise that you're all but living with Mark again. You're back together. Just admit it."

"I can't. Because I'm scared. I feel like there's always something that's going to go wrong. I want to be with him. For Rosie's sake. But I'm scared."

"It's understandable Cass. You've been through a lot. He's a changed man," Ellie said.

****

Mark and Cassie put Rosie to bed that night. Mark ordered pizza while Cassie had a shower. She joined him on the sofa and sighed. "I can't believe Mer got fired. Do you think she's okay?" She asked.

Mark shrugged. "Derek says that he's staying at his trailer. This whole thing could mess with them adopting Zola," he told her.

Cassie knew how attached Derek had gotten to Zola. And she felt bad for him. "What happens if they can't adopt Zola?"

"I don't know baby. Which is why I'm thankful you and Rose are here," Mark said as he held her close.

Cassie smiled as she looked to him. She cuddled into him. "I think we should give us another chance. A final chance though. I can't go through anymore heartache," she said.

Mark kissed her lips gently. "I'm not going to hurt you again. I promise," he told her.

But would Mark be able to keep his promise?