chapter four - the friendship

Start from the beginning

Wanda, on the other hand not noticing Natasha's reaction, sets herself in front of the mirror, looking at the work of her hair. Amused by it, she shifts her head in all angles to see the work even better, smiling happily, she loves it. Natasha, who has conjured up the confidence, observes Wanda for a moment, grinning smugly knowing she's the reason Wanda may be feeling again. 

A timid "Can I do your hair?" takes Natasha out of her thoughts.

Taken aback by the proposal, it's not often she lets anyone touch her hair, but Wanda isn't just anyone. She's wormed her way into Natasha's heart, and has settled in.

Wanda innocently commands, "Get in." Then makes her own way back inside the tub, trailing behind her puddles of soapy water.

Natasha, unable to get away from the idea, avoids Wanda's stare and drags her shorts down her legs revealing white panties underneath, she takes off her shirt hesitantly, completely aware of the lack of undergarment. Wanda, at the sight of Natasha's naked figure this time, reddens at the cheeks and looks away before Natasha could notice she's staring. (she noticed).

Without wanting to prolong the awkward glances, Natasha hops into the tub in front of Wanda, who gapes at her almost lovingly, but especially with appreciation. She begins to meddle with Natasha's hair, gliding shampoo through it. Natasha takes this moment to know more about Wanda.

"Do you like it here?" she asks tentatively.

Humorously Wanda replies, "In the tub?", as she continues to attend Natasha's hair with her delicate hands.

"No silly, I mean in this house."  Natasha chuckles out.

Wanda recognises the seriousness in the query, and begins to consider it. "I guess."

Genuinely curious, Natasha ponders, "Why don't you want to leave? I mean would you ever leave?"

Wanda begins to say, "I have left before." as she's cut of by Natasha, "Yeah I don't think the res even counts."

"Well it is on the outside." Wanda sarcastically comments.

Maintaining her inquiries, "Yeah but I mean the real outside, like outside the trees, out there. Why are you so against exploring?"

Wanda responds with honesty, "My whole life I have been told there is nothing worth my time out there, the real outside is full of pain and hurt and misery. There's nothing good left, or there never was."

This time, Natasha reflects on what Wanda said, why would her mother tell her such things about the world, there is good out there, it takes strength to find it. Has Wanda really been sheltered her whole life, that the furthest she's been is the res?

"She said that? Your mom I mean, your mom told you that?"

Wanda nods, "She came from there, surely she knows more than I do so she's right. She said it is full of selfish and brutal people who did not treat one another very good. I mean can you deny that?"

Natasha concernedly replies, "I can't deny that there are selfish people, but I can tell you about the good people. The many more good people who make up for all the bad in the world, out there... so you have never ever been past the res?"

Wanda lightly questions, "But why would I?"

"I don't know, to go to school maybe? See a doctor, go see your babushka and dedushka, listen to the same story about 10 times over, and you know have a cup of vodka or two with them," she added the last one cheekily, winking at Wanda, "I mean I just can't believe it."

Wanda, on the other hand, doesn't reciprocate the humour, for the first time she thinks about all the things she's been missing out on, maybe she's a little jealous.