We sit down on one of the small chairs in the shop.

"I must admit I didn't expect to meet him that night, I've never met someone so— Famous." I say, earning a laugh from the guy. "Do you see him very often?"

Asher thinks for a while, giving me time to see Oli through the window of the small shop in front of us. He looks tired, but from the way he talks, he's more than happy to help his mother.

"He doesn't spend much time at home even when he's in town, but when he is, Oli tries to help as much as he can. You know Oli aspires to be like him, but not just in career." Asher directs his eyes in the same direction as mine. "Oli hopes to have a love like his parents have, a love that goes against the world but still stands strong."

My eyes travel to Luna and Oli as they smile at each other.

But I look away, back to the chestnut-haired guy in front of me.

A love against everything? A love against infidelity and a daughter out of wedlock?

That's assuming I'm not my father's only bastard daughter.

I swallow hard, pushing those thoughts away.

"I hope Oli can achieve everything he desires. He deserves it." Asher's eyes filled with tenderness. "I think you all deserve it."

"You deserve it too, Soph." His words might as well have been a slap.

I smile, hiding, as best I can, the pain in my eyes.

No, Asher, I don't think I deserve anything, much less after what I'm going to do soon.

The door to the restaurant opens, and three people walk straight towards us.

Luna sits on my legs, hugging my head with her arms.

"Will you come with us to the opening? Oli's parents will be there, so will Asher's," my body tenses.

I turn to look at the guy next to me, noticing how he gives me a nervous smile.

Nothing is official between us, but Asher has shared his idea to change that soon.

My chest hurts, giving away an apologetic smile.

"Sorry, I'm behind on some projects; I really need to get a good grade; if I don't catch up on that, I'll fail and my mom will kill me." I keep my eyes fixed on Luna completely ignoring Ian's raised eyebrow.

Taking almost every class together, he could contradict my words, but for some reason I won't think about, he decides to keep quiet.

"That makes two," says Luna with a pout.

I look at her confused, but then, to my disgrace, I see Ian's smile.

Damn it.

Luna and Oli hug me goodbye. Ash kisses my cheek, relieved, after I tell him I'm dying to meet his parents, but that will be another time.

I lied to him, of course, involving his parents would only make everything more complicated.

It's when Ash's car disappears that I hit Ian with my purse.

"You're a liar, you're not behind in any subject." I say, and he looks at me in complete disbelief.

"I could say the same as you—bad grades? You're fucking top of the class," he says, and I roll my eyes, walking to my car.

I get in and leave my purse in the back.

I almost scream in fright when the passenger door opens, but I sigh when Ian gets in, sitting down and putting on his seatbelt.

"What are you doing?"

"We told them we'd study together. Studying together means we have to be together." I glare at him as he waves his hand as if his words are the most obvious thing in the world. I think to myself how bad it would be if I bit his hand. "We studied at your house?"

"Don't even think about it," I say, putting on my belt, resigning myself to the fact that I won't get rid of him.

"What were your plans anyway?" I look at him with a raised eyebrow. "We're past the talk where we admitted we're liars and bad friends, now we're on to the explanation of the reason why," he says, waving his hand that way again.

It would definitely feel good to pull his finger off.

I start the car and stand up in the street.

"What's your reason?" I ask after a long silence, driving without a destination.

Without a destination after Ian got in the way of what I was planning to do this afternoon.

The red-haired man looks at me for a moment, he folds his arms.

"I hate those events, they're really boring, Oli loves them, and that's why we support him. When you told your stupid lie, which anyone could figure out if they paid minimal attention to your grades, I decided it was a way out for me too."

I laugh, giving no importance to his words about noticing my notes. Luna gets busy with her art projects, and we're usually the ones who help her paint at the last minute. Asher has too much to read in law school to even have the energy to talk about college once he's out, and Oli, with the preparations for these events and his classes, I can't even imagine. The only one bored enough to notice is the guy next to me.

"Well?" His question makes me look at him.

"What?" I ask defensively, like I always do when he opens his damn mouth.

"You're not telling me that you're freaking out about meeting Asher's parents?" My look of confusion makes the guy chuckle.

He interprets it as concern.

I love it when people make up lies before I have to think them up. Let's play with this.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I say turning right and deciding to go to the city library.

Since I won't be able to do what I planned to do, at least I'll get a head start on my college work. Because, as much as I hate to admit it, my goal in this town has nothing to do with maintaining my excellent grades.

After all, the money my father was sending my mother monthly for her medical treatments, which she refused to let me know about, will soon run out.

"So you're serious about him?" I look at him, confused, forgetting for a moment the conversation we were having.

I sigh.

"Asher's a good guy." I say, but Ian interrupts me.

"I think I have my answer with that. "

Sophia's Outfit