𝟎𝟎𝟐 I can see you up against the wall with me

chapter two | I can see you up again the wall with me

75TH HUNGER GAMES

After the parade had finished and all the tributes had changed into their training clothes, they headed down to the training arena. Ember was not, nor ever was, one for making allies. She never knew who she could trust or who would stick a dagger in her heart first. As she walked into the arena, she saw her dad's tributes, Finnick, Johanna from seven, the twins from one and then Finnick's partner Mags. She was scanning the room and none of them really looked like her type of people, especially the ones from district three.

As Ember watched Katniss shoot, she was thinking if she would only get one ally it would be Katniss or even Finnick. She was walking back down to the district compounds later that night and when she saw Haymitch she quickly ducked in a corner. "Hiding from someone?" Finnick asked, smirking behind her. She jumped and pinned him against the wall. "Don't do that" She sighed, realising it was Finnick and she let him go. "Who are you hiding from, Amber?" Finnick asked. "My father, if you must know" Ember said, rolling her eyes.

"Your father is-" Finnick said, his eyes widening slightly. "Haymitch Abernathy, yes, it is... Which is why I don't tell people because I get a reaction like that" Ember said, poking his shoulder. "You look nothing like him" Finnick said. "That's a good thing, isn't it. I don't look like the drunken mentor" Ember said. "You look like your mother" Finnick said. "How do you know my mom?" Ember asked, her eyes widening a bit. "Oh sweetie everyone knows your mother... 48th Hunger Games, killing ten people with her dagger. One of the best Victors about.... shame she didn't make a mentor, I could see her name in lights" Finnick smirked.

"You weren't alive when my mother won the games nor was I" Ember said. "Who said you had to be alive to hear about Isodora River. Or Isodora Abernathy" Finnick said, "So what are you going under the name "River" or "Abernathy"?" Finnick asked. "Does it matter, I know he's been looking for me either way and I wanna talk to him but I wouldn't know what to say to him... it's been six years since I saw him last"  Ember said. "He's your father, he hasn't seen you in ages... you should just talk to him" Finnick said, "Goodnight, Ember." Finnick turned the corner and walked down the corridor, the one time Finnick said her name right.

: ̗̀➛

The next day, all the tributes sat in a room waiting to be individually assessed. Ember looked around her and thought "How the hell am I gonna kill these people..." Finnick kept looking over at her and smiled. "District six, Ember Abernathy, please report for individual testing." The announcer said. Ember took a look at everyone before walking down into the assessment room. Ember grabbed a dagger and threw it at the target. It wasn't much of a skill but it was something, right?