𝟎𝟎𝟏 Begin again

chapter one | Begin again

chapter oneBegin again

75TH HUNGER GAMES

Whenever Snow had announced that the tributes for the seventy fifth hunger games would be reaped from the existing tributes, Ember knew she was fucked... completely and utterly fucked. It had been six years since Ember had been in that arena and the thought of her going back in made her skin crawl. She still hadn't recovered from the last time so god knows what it would do to her the second time. She didn't think saying "Second time's the charm" was a good thing to say in this context.

It wasn't even the games that scared her that much anymore, or the nightmares, it was Haymitch, her own father. She understood he was a mentor and it was his job to be here, but he wasn't her mentor like she wanted him to be, that might of gave her an advantage but she didn't think it. All Ember wanted was something to latch onto... If she couldn't have her father, she could have the memory of her mother's voice. Most nights if she was awakened by a nightmare from the sixty seventh hunger games, she would lie in bed and hum the lullaby her mother sang to her. She was only two months when Isodora was killed but when she woke up crying, Haymitch would sing it to her, so it stuck with her.

: ̗̀➛

When Katniss and Peeta reached the capitol, Haymitch had been tense the whole train ride. He couldn't stop thinking about Ember and how she'd have to go through the games again. One thing Haymitch was kicking himself about was the fact he couldn't save her. Isn't that a father's job? To protect their daughter from all her fears... but he couldn't do that. He wanted his mind to convince him that another girl tribute had been picked from six and that it wasn't his Emmie but he was having a very hard time believing himself. He was more so pissed off at himself for letting Peeta volunteer for him, at least if he was in the arena then he could help Ember... but he wasn't.

Effie had made attempts to try to put Haymitch's mind at ease throughout the train ride but it was no use. When they walked into the compound, Haymitch and Effie sat them down on the sofa and tried to familiarise Katniss and Peeta with the existing victor's they be going up against. "From district one, Cashmere and Gloss... brother and sister, they won back to back games and are Capitol favourites. They have lots of sponsers and will be lethal" Haymitch said, pointing to the screen.

"And the other half of the career pack, Brutus and Enobaria" Haymitch said. "What's up with her teeth?" Katniss asked. "She had them filed into fangs so she could rip people's throats out." Haymitch said. "She's committed, I'll give her that" Peeta said. "Wiress and Beetee. Not fighters, but brilliant... and weird, real tech-savvy" Haymitch said, "He won his games by electrocuting six tributes at once... The Morphlings. A master of camouflage and..." He turns to the screen again and sees Ember, his heart skipped a beat as his eyes widened. "Haymitch?" Katniss asked. "Ember Abernathy... won her games at seventeen... She is as brutal as her mother was when she competed. " Haymitch sighed, not wanting to believe what he was looking at.

"Haymitch do you know her?" Katniss asked. "It's not important" Haymitch said, his eyes eventually leaving the screen as the person switched. "Finnick Odair, right?" Katniss asked. "Yes, he won his games at fourteen, youngest ever... extremely humble" Haymitch said. "You're kidding" Katniss said, not believing for a second that Finnick was humble. "Yes I'm kidding, he's a peacock, a total preener, but he's the Capitol's darling. They love him here. Charming, smart, very skilled at combat and especially in water" Haymitch said. "What about weaknesses?" Peeta asked. "One. Mags. She volunteered for Annie. Mags was his mentor, she basically raised him. If he's trying to protect her in anyway, it'll expose him." Haymitch said. "A guy like that has to know she's not gonna make it" Katniss said, "I bet when it reallly comes down to it, he won't protect her."

"Well Katniss, I hope when she goes, she goes quickly" Haymitch said, "She's actually a wonderful lady."

: ̗̀➛

As the parade approached, Ember was down by the horses when a voice called for her. She turned around, expecting it to be her father but it wasn't. "Hello, Finnick..." Ember said. "Want a sugar cube?" Finnick asked, tosssing the cube up and down in his hand, "I mean, they're supposed to be for the horses but... I mean, who cares about them right? They got years to eat sugar whereas you and I... well if we see something sweet we'd better grab it" He smirked. She forced a smile, "No thanks... but I would like to borrow that outfit someday" she joked.

"You look pretty terrifying in that getup" He chuckled, "Whatever happened to the pretty little girl dresses?" "I outgrew them, was never a fan of them" Ember said. "You certainly did" he smirked, "Shame about the quell thing... Now you would've made it out of the capitol like a bandit... Jewels, money, anything your heart desired." "Well I don't like jewels... and I have more money than I need so... what did you do with all your wealth anyway?"  Ember asked. "I haven't dealt with anything as common as money in years" Finnick said. "Well then how do people pay for the pleasure of your company" Ember smirked.

Finnick takes steps towards her and puts his lips beside her ear, talking in a low voice. "With secrets..." He smirks and takes a step back, "What about you sparky... you got any secrets worth my time?" "I'm an open book. Everyone knows my secrets before I do" Ember said. "I'm sorry your father has to be here to... you know... watch you die..." Finnick smirked, "Have a good day, Amber" He bites down on the sugar cube and turns his back to her. "It's Ember" Ember corrected him. Finnick smirks, "I'm still gonna call you Amber... Amber" He smirks and walks off.

As the parade began, Ember climbed into the carriage as the horses rode into the track. She looked straight ahead and her face showed frustration, looking at Snow. Haymitch watched her closely and he barely recognised her... He only saw the twelve year old that left. Effie looked at Haymitch and saw the nerves in his eyes. Ember watched around her and finally took notice of her father. Snow took notice of Ember and he smirked, knowing the hatred she must have for him. As they circled around Ember looked up at Snow, making sure he remembered her. Snow's face dropped when he saw how much she looked like Isodora, it wasn't a hard thing to miss...

 Snow's face dropped when he saw how much she looked like Isodora, it wasn't a hard thing to miss