Chapter 58 - Mood Swings

Start from the beginning

The sun had risen to where it peeked over the summit of Ruto Mountain before Mila and Kendal finally surfaced from the depths of Ruto Lake to talk.

"I'm so happy to be back, sweetheart," said Kendal as they held hands and floated on the surface of the lake. "I kept wishing we could at least chat while I was gone, but no such luck."

"I tried not to think about it, but if you hadn't passed and had to be away for another month, I would have been furious with you," said Mila.

"I thought you might be, which was extra motivation," laughed Kendal. "And now that I'm back, enjoying our pure freshwater once again and indulging in a succulent Hyrule Bass...I couldn't be happier. Not that saltwater and a diet of porgies were bad, but I really missed a taste of home."

Mila raised an eyebrow, a smirk playing on her lips. "So you're telling me you missed our fish and freshwater?"

"Of course not, sweetheart," Kendal said almost too quickly. "I missed you the most. I thought that was understood."

"I'm rather in the mood to hear you explicitly say it, dearest," said Mila. "And show it."

"I thought I already have," laughed Kendal.

"You're off to a good start," nodded Mila as she gently caressed his cheek with the back of her hand. "But now that we've both eaten some of those Hyrule Bass you longed for so much, and you've flushed the taste of saltwater from your gills, you have some more time away from me to make up for."

"With pleasure, sweetheart," laughed Kendal as they began kissing again and sank beneath the waves.

At about this time, Link awoke to find himself alone in their slumber pool, the late morning sun streaming through the window.

"I must've been more exhausted than I thought," he muttered, stretching before collecting his Tab, checking the time, and venturing out of the bedroom. He saw Mipha seated alone at the table reading her Tab.

"Morning, sweetheart," Link greeted her, leaning down for a quick, affectionate kiss. "Mila and Midon not around?"

"Mila apparently rushed off to find Kendal, and Midon hasn't awoken yet from last night's outing," Mipha informed him. "There's some Hyrule Bass on ice for you and Midon if you're hungry, sweetheart."

"If I'm hungry? That's almost always a rhetorical question. But perfect, thanks," Link acknowledged, fetching one of the fish and a plate before settling down.

"I was just reviewing the latest Council Meeting notes," Mipha explained, her attention briefly drifting from her Tab. "Father insists I approve them before they're final. I'll be done soon."

"No rush, dear. I'll check up on the latest news while you finish up," Link said, picking up his Tab.

"You're following the news now? That itself should be news," Mipha asked, a hint of amusement in her voice.

Link chuckled. "Very funny. I usually skip the gossip columns, like Bab's Babble Bubble. But I do keep up with the Hyrule Army Newsletter. Remember, I'm still on the roster as a Captain of the Royal Guard. Zelda never revoked my commission."

Mipha laughed lightly. "She wouldn't, would she? I suspect Zelda is sentimental about her faithful knight protector and likes to feel she can still summon you at will. And I think you're a bit sentimental, too. But go on, read. I've got my own reading to do."

Link browsed through the army newsletter, skimming over promotions, public troop activities, and personal announcements of weddings and births. Most names were unfamiliar, but a few sparked memories of old comrades. Then, his attention was suddenly captured by an entry on the obituary page.