Chapter 34 - Clearing the Air

Summary: Astra fondly remembers her sister, briefly discusses her father with Fi, then offers to assist Zelda. Zelda clears the air with her Chief of Staff Myra over the Princess's existence.

It was evening at Hyrule Castle on the day of Astra's coronation as Princess of Hyrule, and the castle was quiet now, the day's celebration and festivities over. The buffet lunch and party in the Dining Hall had ended, and the last guests had left to return home. Astra thanked each guest for coming and for their pledge of support. And she made sure that Hanlon's family returned to Hateno Village with a fresh Royal Fruitcake, prompting their youngest child Rand to tell her she was the nicest Princess he ever knew.

Now a weary Astra and Zelda made their way back to the castle living quarters, their footsteps echoing in the silent hallway.

"I think I will sleep well tonight," said Zelda as they walked. "But I go to bed happy, for it warmed my heart to see so many of our people smiling and cheering, being excited about good news for a change."

"That warmed my heart too, and how readily people accepted me," said Astra.

Zelda stopped when they reached their bedrooms and looked at the wall opposite their doorways.

"You know, I think this will be a perfect spot," said Zelda. "At least for now."

"Sorry?"

"I've been gradually replacing the castle artwork destroyed in the Calamity, and I think this is an excellent spot to hang a picture of your coronation," said Zelda. "I pass by here every day and will enjoy seeing a reminder of this special occasion. But now I'm exhausted, and you must be too."

"Maybe not quite exhausted, but certainly tired. Goodnight," said Astra as she and Zelda embraced. "And thank you. I will never forget today, even without a picture to remind me."

"A day you deserved and one long overdue for both you and us, sweetheart," Zelda said as she kissed Astra on the cheek. "You look so beautiful and poised as Princess, and it's wonderful to see this other side of you."

"Despite my best efforts, I guess I did learn a few things from my big sister," laughed Astra. "She was always the dignified one."

"Seriously, sweetheart, you've brought joy and hope for the future to our kingdom and given my heart some much-needed mending. I'm the one who should thank you."

They held their embrace for another moment, then Astra retired to her room and closed the door behind her. She began changing for bed at once, hanging up her dress by her closet where it would be picked up and laundered tomorrow.

Then she gently removed the ruby and gold circlet from her head that she received at the coronation and was about to put it aside when she paused to examine it, turning it over in her hands. It was identical to the circlet her sister wore on special occasions. Astra smiled as she thought back to when she first learned the word circlet, a time when she was still quite small. It was just before her sister took her to the Sacred Grounds to attend a ceremony their mother would officiate at.

"Can I come in, Astra? It's me, Zelda," said Princess Zelda as she knocked on the door to Astra's bedroom.

"Sure, Zel, it's open," shouted Astra.

Princess Zelda opened the door and entered the room.

"Are you ready to go? Mother wants me to take you to the Sacred Grounds early so you can burn off some energy before the ceremony begins, and you won't get all fidgety."

"I'm ready."

"No, sweetheart, you're not," laughed Princess Zelda. "Sit down here and let me fix your hair. But, honestly, Astra, do you ever look at yourself in the mirror?"