Chapter 40 - Astra Visits Ruta

Summary: Astra concludes her visit with Dr. Purah, then travels to Zora's Domain to inspect Divine Beast Vah Ruta at Zelda's request. While there, she finds something of Mipha's.

Astra awoke in the Hateno Ancient Tech Lab spare bedroom to the sound of a strong wind and raindrops tapping against the walls and windows. From the daylight outside, it was already morning, and Astra thought of her Tab to check the time. Then she remembered she had loaned it to Dr. Purah for study, and it was out of range at the moment. However, she still had Zelda's Sheikah Slate, which showed it was slightly after 10 a.m.

"I guess I overslept, but I must have needed it," Astra muttered, then yawned and stretched.

Astra and Purah had talked late into the night the prior evening, so a long sleep was very welcome. She arose, made the bed, got dressed, then pulled a hood over her head. As she opened the door, at once, the sound of the wind grew louder, and she had to struggle to keep it from wrenching the door from her hand. After managing to step outside and close the door behind her, Astra made her way down the winding stairway to the lab entrance. A brief knock brought Purah to the door, and she at once let her in.

"Good morning, Highness. Please come in and dry off," said Purah as she closed the door behind her. "We're having quite the storm today, but at least there's no lightning."

"Good morning, and apologies for my lateness."

"Not at all, Highness. Your timing is perfect, and I slept late myself. So please have a seat and help yourself to some fresh, hot tea. Now I can prepare our breakfast, and I hope fried eggs and Hylian Rice are acceptable."

"Thank you. More than acceptable! Rice and eggs sound delicious, but can I help?"

"No, there is barely room for one of us by the fire," said Purah. "I really should clear more of these books out of the way."

Astra sat down at the table, poured herself a cup of tea, then paused as a gust of wind splashed more raindrops across the window.

"The wind off Kitano Bay can be quite strong," said Purah as she glanced over at the window and then continued to cook. "On days when the weather is as bad as this, I would often just sleep here in the lab, not wanting to get soaked walking up to my room."

"Good idea," said Astra after swallowing a sip of tea. "Besides getting wet, the slippery stairs and strong wind would make climbing up to your room in the dark rather treacherous."

"By the way, thank you for answering so many of my questions last night. I fear my insatiable curiosity must have tired you out."

"If it did, I slept well enough to make up for it," laughed Astra. "But I regret I am not so well versed in ancient technology to better answer some of your questions. I studied more about how to use things than the theory of why they worked, and I'm sure I left many of your questions unanswered."

Purah finished cooking, brought over two plates of food, placed one in front of Astra, and then sat opposite her.

"I completely understand that your aim was practicality and achieving results, much like your father," said Purah as they began eating. "I still recall the long-awaited moment when your father finally arrived here after recovering from his injuries in the Shrine of Resurrection. My sister Impa in Kakariko Village had sent him here to have Zelda's Sheikah Slate repaired and enhanced, as she knew I had done a good deal of research on runes and such by then. Link's memory was lost, of course, and I tried to fill in some blanks. But Link was a bit short-tempered and felt pressure to hurry. Let me give you an example of our conversation."

"You're kidding me, right?" exclaimed Link in a tone of exasperation. "Now I need what?"

"I never joke about my work," said Purah. "To upgrade the Stasis Rune, we need three Ancient Cores."