Chapter 4

Chapter 4: God Damn it

I sit in the lobby flipping a knife in my hand. My boot heals on the edge of the chair while my ass it on the back of the chair. I am in my suit (see the top for the picture) I look almost like every other Shield Agent but while their uniforms are black mine is a dark dark green, My gray eyes catch sight of the Gote man, tony stark, leading a ground of older looking people into the room. He stops before me and raises an eyebrow.

"What do you want" I comment with a monotoned voice.

"Nothing just trying to figure out what your problem is."

"Oh, I have no problem I just want to get this mission done"

"Oh so you have been on one or 2 and now you think your an expert." He says with a snarl

"I have been on 200 missions that have not involved you, most in which I have been alone so don't test me stark, it won't end well" He raises his hand in defeat as I watch the others eyes widen. Was it really that big of a deal? I did missions for Fury all the time, I was gone for most of the year.

"Stop staring" Authority laced in my voice.

"Can we just get going" The tall blonde headed man say.

"Shut ur trap capsicle"

"I dont have to Tony" I roll my eyes at the 2 and walk towards the ship they landed with and stomped into the drivers spot before starting up the engine with a rumble. I wait for all of them to get to their seats before I take off. I shove the com given to me by Fury and hear a static noise before hearing Fury's voice.

"Get in and out. You have 48 hours to finish this mission. I need you to play nice though" I roll my eyes.

"Copy" I steer towards the coordinates and put the ship on cruise control. I get up and walk over to the group.

"Ok look, I dont play nice but for Directors sake I will try, I have orders to make this mission a in and out" I look at their faces and take note of the disgusted look on Tony stark's face.

"I have the layout of the building memorized. I will have you 4 take the perimeter" I point towards tony, the blonde one, the other tall very tall blonde, and the one with a few green veins running up his neck.

"And the rest will come with me"

"What make you the one in charge" Tony comments

"Because it could cost me my job if it doesn't work out, I have 48 hours to get in an out then back to the base. No one is going to mess that up not you or anyone here." I pivot on my heel and head back to the wheel. I sit down as the cousin flattens underneath me.

Out the window I watch the ground race by, trees and animals of all kinds look like blurs as we pass. We would be there in no time.

It was just a waiting game from here.

—time skip—

I watch the ship pull up to the location. I steer it and land it further than needed, to not be seen. I shut the ship off and open the back. The others step out and look around. I step off and bolt to some bushes up ahead. I fiddle with my coms and connect it to the others coms. I slowly stalk towards the building. Creeping from bush to bush I take count of all the people guarding the outside perimeter. 15 in all not bad at all.

"Alright everyone I need the perimeter people to take out the guards on the outside in stealth."

"Yes ma'am" a voice says.

Slinking through the foliage with grace. The guards patrolling the perimeter were unaware of our presence. The other people moved with a precision that surprised me, each one utilizing their unique skills to incapacitate the guards silently.

As the guards fell one by one, we continued our approach to the main building. The team reconvened, exchanging glances that spoke volumes. Despite the initial tension, there was a growing sense of unity.

"Good job, everyone," I acknowledged, a nod of approval given to the perimeter team. "Now, let's move inside. Time is of the essence."

The others followed my lead as we infiltrated the facility. The layout of the building was etched in my memory, allowing us to navigate through the shadows without triggering alarms or encountering further resistance.

The mission had just begun, and the clock was ticking.

People here and there took us by surprise but when I was finally placing the last of the bombs. (yes explosives, why the fuck not) I had giggle to myself. I watched as a couple guard looked around for the mysterious sound. I quietly crept closer to the wall and back out into the hall. My comms buzzed and a voice said,

"Sorry guys, but ummm"

"Spit it out clint" Tony Stark said,

"I tripped an alarm" I rolled my eyes, 'for fucks sake' I muttered. An alarm started to blare as I raced around going through halls and halls trying to get out. A voice rang across a sound system near by,

"Alert,...Alert, Intruder Alert" The blaring continued as I felt myself push harder and faster. I reached the forest outside.

"Is everyone out" I questions over our comms.

"Yes" Tony stark said.

"Everyone get as far away as possible" I instructed. Was this a smart idea,..........no. was it a plan none the less. *dramatic pause* yes. Could it get me killed, yes. But to save this mission it is all I had left. I thrust out my hands reaching for the last bomb I placed down. I squeeze my eyes and concentrate on the air around it. I felt a whoosh of air fly across my back. I ignored it, I made my fingers squish together and when I pulled apart I could hear the faint sound of an explosion, YES it worked. I was jumping up and down. I heard it closer but it was too late. I was hit in the back by a nearby explosion making my body fly far. I closed my eyes and summoned my shield, I hit a tree and crumbled to the ground. I slowly sit up vision blur and head spinning. Noises slowly come to my ears.

I use the tree for balance and stagger to my wobbly feet. I looked around hoping to find the jet we came in. walking to what I thought was north I saw a glimmer of the shiny paint. I hobble over slow and steady. I get to the ship and lean against it putting all my weight into holding myself up with the ship.

"Artemis what happened" Tony asked

"I'm fine Stark, just,..... Just give me a minute" I said as I slid into the pilot's seat.

"You dont look okay, YOUR SHINY" clint (i knew from the files) yelled.

"Its a shield DIMWIT"

"Shit sorry" he huffed

"Its fine Clint she is just cranky" Stak said

"Just" I started, "Just let get home" I turned and started up the ship. I flew us up above the trees and towards the helicarrier. Finally landing a while later.