Chapter 9.

Amari K

Amari K. Sanders

Third person pov:

All Amari cared about was her career, her faith, money, her peace of mind, and her family. She didn't have time of anything or anyone else, well except Imani. She was basically family. Yeah she had many friends and was known to be the life of the party, but she always knew when to stop and focus on what was important. Transferring schools was starting to take a toll on her. Amari wasn't sure if it was the right choice. She wasn't usually one to get distracted but Paige had been on her mind a little too much for her liking. Amari was always told growing up that relationships were distractions. Every time she'd end up liking someone, she'd get her heart broken. And every time she'd isolate herself.

There was an obvious change in Amari. She was much quieter than she was at her old college. At her old college Amari would walk into class with a smile on her face ready to talk to everybody. But now she walks in quietly, slightly uncomfortable and takes her seat in the back trying not to bring attention to herself. To be fair she didn't really know anyone, they just knew her. She was trying to get closer to her basketball team, but something in her mind to her that they were still her rivals, even though they play for the same school now. On top of it all Amari was thinking about dropping some sports it was honestly a distraction and they only made her more exhausted. 

Later that day

Amari sluggishly walked into her dorm, passing out onto her bed. It was not long till the girl soon fell asleep. An hour later Imani can bursting in. 

"Amari wake up! You have practice in 30 minutes!" She yelled.

No reply.

Imani walked up to the side of the bed Amari was laying on and starting shaking her.

"Wakey Wakey"

"Hm?" Amari said groggily.

"You have practice boo"

"How much time do I have?" Amari said burying her head in her pillow. 

"30 mintues"

"Ugh"

The girl got up slowly but surely. She walked to their kitchen, grabbing a monster from the fridge and drinking it. Practice started at 11:30 and ended at 12:45 which meant most of the girls went get lunch together after if they had time and money.

Today for practice, Geno split the girls into two teams and made them play against each other. Amari has the ball and Azzi was trying to steal it. Causing Amari to put her hand out behind her softly pushing the girl back keeping her away. Of course Azzi wasn't going to let this slide. Azzi suddenly dropped to the floor and just to be extra did a back roll. 

"Foul coach!" Azzi yelled from the ground. 

Amari shook her head no. "What I barely even touched you! Get up."

She was definitely gonna get her back for this. Azzi had the ball and Amari was watching her like a hawk. She was looking for her chance to steal it. Once she got it she would pretend she was gonna shoot it and then quickly pass it to Aubrey. Azzi saw her getting close and put her arm out, elbowing Amari intentionally. 

"That's a foul Azzi baby" Amari said smirking.

Azzi tried to defend her actions, when coach shut her down. 

"That was a foul Fudd and you know that." he said.

Azzi smacked her teeth playfully pushing Amari.

"And now your putting your hands on me?? Crazyy"

"Awe shut up"

Practice was now starting to end and Coach Geno had an announcement. 

"Reminder we will be having team dinner tonight. I'll text Imani the details and she'll send them to y'all. Oh and please dress nicely. You know who you are" He said eyeing a couple of the girls causing some laughs. The girls made their way to the changing room. Amari just so happen to catch a glimpse of Paige while she was changing. She has black sweats on and a cherry red sports bra. Amari though she looked good in red, but then quickly pushed the thoughts back looking away and continuing what she was doing. Her and Imani left hand in hand. On the way home, Amari turned down the music. 

"Are we really going?" she asked.

"Yeah of course. We are new, we can't miss our first team dinner!" 

After 20 minutes of going back and fourth, Imani had finally persuaded the curly haired girl to go. 

First person pov:

Amari K. Sanders

"What do I wear!?" I asked.

I couldn't choose between the black dress or the red. 

"Lemme see them on you" Imani responded. She had a green dress on that fitted her very well if you ask me. 

I tried them both on. She just stared at me.

"So...?"

"Black for sure."

I'm so glad Imani is my roommate and best friend. I like actually need her. We spent the next 3 hours talking about our new environment and just gossiping. I mean we are just girls. When it was time to go and we hopped in the car. We walked in the restaurant lobby, where most of the team and staff was standing. 

"You can seat us now, most of us are here." One of the staff said.

We were each assigned a seat. I was sat in the middle of the table with Azzi, who wasn't here yet on my left and Imani on my right. We were all served water with lemons. Oooo fancy. Some of us were talking about the season and the rest were looking at the menus. A.k.a Me. Bro everything sounds so good. I'm definitely gonna be tasting  whatever Azzi and Imani get. Speaking of Azzi, she just walked in with Paige, KK and Nika. 

"The party has arrived!" Azzi said throwing her hands up.

"Oh lord" I mumble laughing. 

They all take their seats. Paige is seated in front of me. She looks good tonight. She cleans up well. I look next to me at Azzi, who is already starting at me wiggling her eyebrows.

"Can I help you?"

"No but Paige obviously can." She whispers in my ear. 

"Absolutely not" I say pushing her away.

"Okayy..."

"You look nice" I hear. This time it wasn't Azzi talking. It was Paige. She was looking at me with those bright blue eyes.