13. love is in the air

Start from the beginning

Jeremiah sighed. "It was the only option. I didn't know how to protect you guys and I refuse to let you live your lives in the shadows and on the run from your mother. You two didn't deserve that. You deserved to have a normal life."

"Well, if you call abusive parents and a power-hungry guardian a normal life then yeah sure got that all right." Blaze snapped at his father. He so badly wished he could just hug his father and be glad he was back, but he couldn't. Thinking of everything that had happened, all because they had been separated made him angry. His life was good, it was perfect before the fire and then it became horrible, all because his dad was gone.

"Blaze." Stiles sighed, giving him a small look and glancing at Blair hoping he wouldn't cause a fight in front of his family's graves. It was the last thing they needed, and Blair was already having a hard time.

Blaze bit his lip and took a deep breath knowing now was not a good time for this. "You know, if I didn't hate Peter before, I hate him now more than ever and he'll never be my family again."

He turned around when he came face to face with Derek who had been quiet. His feelings toward Derek were difficult. A few days ago, he hated the man, especially after everything that happened with Lydia but remembering the man he was once adored and vowed to be just like made him feel hurt more than angry. The way Blaze used to crawl into his bed in the middle of the night, play basketball with or fall asleep on his lap during family movie nights made it more difficult to hate the man.

He didn't say anything as he started walking back to his car, Scott following after him, "Are you sure you're ready to leave?" Scott asked, knowing he was hiding how he felt.

"I brought the flowers, Scott. Just like you wanted me to. What else do you want?" Blaze tiredly breathed out, stopping to turn towards his boyfriend.

"I want you to let me be there. You have been shutting everyone out for days and I understand why but I promised you I'd be there to help you and I can't do that if you decide to be mad at everyone and everything." Scott says. His voice was laced with concern.

"I'm not mad." Blaze looked away. "I just, I don't know what to say or do, okay? What do you want me to say? There is nothing I can do but move on. It's hard to grieve a family that's been dead for 7 years. I'm not the same 10-year-old boy I was all those years ago."

Blaze started to walk towards his car again when he was stopped once more by Charlotte who came up to him with a bouquet, "Oh my god. Can't a man just leave a graveyard?"

"Not without taking these to your old love. You said you hadn't visited Ryle since you got back and maybe since you're revisiting the past and all and trying to grieve old, loved ones, you can grieve the one you remember most recently." Charlotte handed him the flowers with a pointed eyebrow, silently telling him to take the flowers.

"I--" Blaze went to deny the flowers. It felt weird visiting Ryke now that he was dating Scott and Scott being here, but he didn't want to say that he did want to. He felt like he had more to say to Ryle than he did the Hales.

"Go." Scott placed a hand on his back and nodded at the flowers, "I'll meet you at the car when you're done. Take your time."

He held his hands out wanting the car keys which Blaze hesitantly handed over before taking the flowers and walking to Ryle's grave which was quite a walk from where he was previously standing but he was glad that he could collect his thoughts.

The grave was clean, and anyone could tell it was a newer grave amongst the older ones, along with the dead flowers that sat in front. The sight of the flowers made Blaze feel guilty for not visiting. His family had left Beacon Hills after his funeral, unable to stay in the town that he died in, and Blaze felt awful knowing Ryle was left alone. Nothing but his grave was left behind and a small memorial at the high school for him.