Chapter 50: Quidditch Accident

I wish I could say the next few weeks passed uneventfully, however there was an incident in which Ron had been given a poisoned wine meant for Albus. Ron was doing alright now but was staying in the hospital wing for the rest of the week to be safe. I was growing nervous as this was now the second attempt on Ablus's life and the end of term was fast approaching. I didn't want Albus to die but I also knew what would happen if Severus didn't complete his task and I wasn't going to let that happen either. I found myself sitting in my chambers, poring through pages upon pages of every book known to man that had anything to do with unbreakable vows but I continuously came up short. Each book led to the same painful answer: death.

There was a small tapping on my window and I turned to see an owl perched at the closed window, a parcel tied to its foot. I opened the window, letting in the owl before untying the parcel and letter attached.

Y/n,

We found your wand as we were sorting through the burrow. It appears unharmed.

Love, Molly.

I smiled to myself as I unwrapped the parcel, finding my wand unharmed. I gently patted the owl on the head and it quickly left.

There was a knock on my door and I quickly shoved the books under my bed before heading to the door. I opened it and found Severus standing outside.

"Darling, where have you been? Harry's Quidditch game is about to start."

"What?" I looked around, my eyes settling on the clock hanging on the wall. The game started in five minutes. How did I lose that much time? "I-I'm sorry," I stuttered, grabbing my cloak and closing the door behind me. "I guess I just lost track of time."

"Is everything alright, love?" he asked, his eyes finding my chamber door, watching it carefully as if he was afraid an enemy might jump from behind the door.

I squeezed his hand. "Everything's fine."

***

The game seemed to be going fine at first, though there was clearly tension between Mclaggen and Harry. Cormac was filling in for Ron, who was still in the hospital wing, and it appeared the team wasn't happy about this change.

I watched as Cormac grabbed a bat and swung it. He was trying to teach one of the beaters how to hit correctly and the bludger went flying directly toward Harry. I screamed, standing as I watched Harry fall from his broom. I quickly ran down the stairs and onto the field as the game paused.

"Professor!" Mclaggen exclaimed. "I didn't mean to hit him! I swear-."

"Someone get this child away from me," I growled as I crouched beside Harry.

"That's enough, Mclaggen," Severus growled, stepping in front of the boy.

I conjured a stretcher and gently turned Harry over, finding a large wound on his head. I suspected he'd cracked his skull and my heart began to race. Minerva ran toward me and helped me gently move Harry onto the stretcher. I quickly sent it toward the school, knowing it would find the hospital wing far sooner than I could get there. I began running, Minerva and Severus following closely behind.

We reached the hospital wing where Poppy was already tending to Harry. "What on earth happened?" she exclaimed as we crossed the room.

"Bludger to the head. One of his teammates decided to be an idiot," I hissed. "Is he going to be okay?"

"He'll be alright. It appears to be a cracked skull. I'm mending it and I'll be keeping him overnight."

I nodded as she mended the wound and began bandaging him. I took a seat next to Harry's bed as Severus and Minerva took a seat next me.

"You guys don't have to stay, you know? I imagine this is the last place either of you want to be."

"Filius will monitor the commentary of the match," Minerva explained, taking my hand. "There's nowhere else I need to be."

I smiled at her and Severus took my hand.

"I take it you're staying?" I asked him and he chuckled.

"There's absolutely no way I'm leaving you here. Besides, spending time with you is all I could ever ask for."

***

A few hours later Harry woke up. He was confused and in pain, though mostly angry at Mclaggen for what had occurred and I couldn't blame him.

Poppy tried to usher me out of the hospital wing but, after seeing Harry's pleading eyes, I knew there was no way I was leaving him here alone. She reluctantly agreed and set up a bed next to Harry's as Severus and Minerva left, but I didn't need it. I found myself sitting in the chair the entire night as sleep evaded me. It wasn't until the early hours of the morning when my eyes finally closed and I found myself slipping away, Harry's hand still holding mine tightly as I finally fell asleep.

***

A few days later Harry was given a clean bill of health and released from the hospital. I returned to my chambers, preparing to do more research but, as soon as I opened the door, I found that my books were sprawled on my bed and Severus was standing over them.