Swimming

I sigh and open the door. "Hey Jo. I'm home" I say, hoping things weren't still weird from our little fight yesterday.

"Hey, Toni" she responds from the couch, awkwardly staring at me.

I sigh. "See, this is why I didn't want to say anything. Now things are weird" I say.

"I brought you your dinner" she says, ignoring what I just said.

"Thanks" I say, sitting down at the table.

"So. How was your day?" I ask awkwardly.

"Good, I guess. Woke up pretty late, and then I went for a little walk. There was this nice secluded pond. Maybe I can take you on a day that you're free" she says.

"Ooh, so we could go fishing" I suggest.

She gives me an amused look. "That would be fun, but we'd need to get licensed. Also there's no fish" she says.

"Oh" I say, feeling dumb. "Well then we could go swimming"

"Do you even know how to swim, Toni?" she asks with a chuckle.

Most people from the districts couldn't swim, unless they were from 4 like Finnick.

"Well no. Do you?" I mock.

"Actually yes. Finnick taught me" she teases.

"Perfect. Then you can teach me" I say.

Johanna laughs at me. "Alright then. It's a deal"

"It's not dark out yet. Let's go now" I say, wanting to get out more.

"Oh" she says, surprised. "Okay, I guess we could go now"

"Yay! I'll get dressed" I say, excitedly. Johanna chuckles at me.

We get dressed and go outside, trying to be inconspicuous so that people wouldn't notice us.

"Maybe we shouldn't have come out this late. Might be dangerous" says Johanna, gripping my hand a little harder.

I laugh at her. It wasn't even that late. The sun was still visible. Johanna, you do remember that we've killed multiple people, right?" I remind her.

She rolls her eyes at me and keeps walking.

"Toni Hart?!" a teenage looking girl suddenly appears in front of us.

"Oh my god!" she exclaims, while we shush her, not wanting to draw more attention.

She takes a step toward me, and I instinctively back away, while Johanna steps forward.

"Oh, and you're Johanna Mason! Sorry, I mean no harm" the girl whispers, since we shushed her.

"It's just... you are such a big inspiration for me" she says to me.

"Um... thank you?" I respond.

"Oh, you have no idea. I'm part of a big group of working-class women in the scientific and engineering community here in the Capitol. And you have done so much for us. You're like, a big deal" she gushes.

"Really?" I ask, actually intrigued.

"Yes! Representation is everything these days. So because of you, women in STEM is finally 'in'" she says.

"That is.. very cool actually. I'm glad I helped you guys" I say in response.

"I'm Daisy Franklin, by the way" she introduces.

I step forward, surprising Johanna.

"Nice to meet you, Daisy" I say, holding my hand and shaking her hand.