Tour

We were at district 11 now. Slowly getting closer and closer to the place I dreaded most, the Capitol.

District 11, I knew, would be harder for me. I knew both the tributes, Thresh and Rue.

I caused Rue's death, and Thresh caused Clove's.

They each held frequent appearances in my nightmares.

Come on Toni. Just shut up and read the cards. The dead are gone. Your family needs you now.

"I am honored to be able to share my victory with you. And also my gratitude to The Capitol for bringing me where I am today. I also want to share with you the sorrows of your losses. The Tributes of this..."

But what about their families? The ones staring me down right now.

But it doesn't matter, does it? For all I care, they have nothing to do with me.

It's too bad that I do care.

"...We weren't extremely close. But there was a level of respect for one another" I admit to the crowd, diverting from the script.

Fuck, Toni. Shut up. He wouldn't kill my family for saying that, right? For all he knows, this could be what my cards say. That's actually a good play.

I look down, pretending to read off the repetitive script, but disregarding the words entirely.

"I will forever be remorseful for my role in Rue's death. And even though Thresh killed Clove, I can't fault him for it. I see his love for Rue everyday in my brother's love for me" I say, pretending to read off the cards periodically.

He'd totally believe that was in my cards, right? I'm worried and paranoid over nothing. I just needed to get Rue and Thresh out of my system. Maybe they won't haunt my sleep any longer. It wasn't enough to cause any sort of dissent or rebellion.

In fear, I turn to the next card and go back to my script. "They have truly honored this district well. And I'm grateful I got to know them in the Games. Thank you" I conclude.

The cameras cut and I scurry off stage, anxious to be scrutinized by my team.

"Well dear, considering you didn't stick to the cards, I'd say that didn't go terribly" Celene says, chuckling while giving me a pat on the back.

"You're not mad?" I ask her.

"Of course not, dear. You're a well spoken girl. And I know you know what you can and can't say. If you have to say something a little different, you can. But know your limits" she advises me.

"Thank you" I hug her.

She leaves and Beetee comes to me next.

"You brave to go off script like that. What happened to knowing your priorities?" he asks.

"I still know them. But a few words like those can't hurt, can they?" I ask him.

"No, they can't. I actually think it's healthy to mourn this way. But I don't want you to accidentally get carried away and say something that can hurt. You can't get carried away by reading words off a card" he advises.

"No you can't. Right. I'll try to stick to 'em" I say.

Beetee was the only one who I told about my current situation. Sure I've grown to enjoy the company of Celene and Chastice, but Beetee and I are connected on a level that the others will never be.

A sort of connection between victors, where both parties understand what it's like to fight your way out of the Hunger Games.

*time skip**********