10- Bringing it Down

One of my favorite outfits to end off this book :)

Y/n's POV

All of Auradon Prep was gathered to celebrate Mal and Ben's engagement. I was mingling with Jay, Carlos, and Jane when I overheard Evie from behind me.

"There they are," she said. Turning around, I saw that the royal couple themselves were walking their way into the celebration, hand in hand. Ben was wearing a signature Auradon Blue suit with his crown and Mal was wearing a beautiful magenta gown that Evie no doubt had a hand in making.

When the crowd noticed the royal couple's entrance, we all cheered as we welcomed them to their celebration. Mal greeted us, before turning to greet a few more Auradon students. She and Ben then walked up some stairs that led to a balcony where they could address the whole event from above.

Coming to the railing of the balcony, Ben was the first to speak. "Lady Mal and I want to thank you for celebrating our engagement with us today. I couldn't be prouder or happier to call you my Queen," Ben spoke to the crowd, then turned to Mal. "So," Ben raised his glass in the air to propose a toast. "Raise your glasses. To our future Queen of Auradon."

I raised my glass happily, smiling up at my best friend. "To our Queen of Auradon," the crowd of people below repeated Ben's toast. Before I could take a sip, Carlos was calling up to Mal from our place on the ground.

"Speech, Your Special-ness!"

"Speech, Your Fancy One!" Jay called up too.

I raised my glass to Mal. "Please, a speech, Your Gracey Grace!"

The crowd around us laughed at our antics.

Waiting for Mal to answer, the celebration fell silent as she took a moment to speak. I looked around at my friends in concern for Mal. "I can't," was all Mal said.

The whole crowd gasped. Evie turned around to face me as I left my spot by Jay's side to stand next to her. What was Mal talking about?

"I can't be Queen of Auradon," Mal said. Ben pulled her aside, and they seemed to be discussing something while everyone down below was left in the dark.

I turned to Jay who had come to my side when I left his. "Do you have any idea what's going on?" I signed to him.

Jay shook his head. "No," he signed back. He looked past me to Carlos and Evie. "Do you guys know what's going on?" He signed to them. Both shook their heads and we were left to only stare up at our friend above us.

Mal turned to address the crowd. "We made a decision," she began, tapping her hand on the balcony railing. "To close the barrier forever." Everyone around us looked around confused. "And it was my idea. But it's wrong. I've learned that you can't live in fear because it doesn't actually protect you from anything."