23 | Chocolate Crepes

Ada's life had taken a turn for the eventful lately

Ada's life had taken a turn for the eventful lately. Ever since she left the Luna Sanctum seven years ago, she had been laying low, trying to find a way back home. She missed Auden, their time together, and the feeling of being a respected mage like the rest of the Romersais. But she knew that nobody would accept her or even acknowledge her existence as a mage anymore. She had already made the mistake of trusting the evil-dealing with the dark. Tragically, she couldn't save her brother from walking down the same treacherous path.

Recently, she had been tapping into her powers more frequently, driven by the urgency of her situation. Every night Devereaux would wait for her to be back from work and help her with training before he left for his tasks. Every session so far had made her realise how weakened she had got, as one would after years without any training, if anything trying to suppress her powers.

In the tranquil embrace of the wild clearing, bathed in the ethereal hues of the dusk, Devereaux and Ada engaged in a dance of combat. The tall grass beneath their feet rustled with each step, an eager audience to the captivating display of skill and finesse. The azure sky, transitioning from the warm tones of daylight to the cool embrace of twilight, served as the backdrop for their spectacle. Hues of soft oranges and pinks painted a masterpiece, mirroring the energy that crackled in the air. A gentle breeze whispered through the leaves of ancient trees, adding a symphony to their dance.

Cladded in a flowing dress that mirrored the palette of the sky, the former heiress moved with the grace of a dancer. The fabric of her dress fluttered in the breeze, a testament to the energy coursing through her veins. Her every attack was a cascade of energy, a vibrant manifestation of her determination. She had once been all about it. Her power flows though now were erratic at times when they should be gentle and constant.

They'd betray her when it was an emergency, setting off a blast when she least expected it. She marvelled at how her energy had held on, especially during the night she fought Gagagore and Auden. She had neglected her powers at a time when she should have been honing them. Once classified as a mage, one needed to train their magical abilities; just being born with incredible core energy did not essentially mean you'd be a great mage. It was no excuse that she happened to carry the essence of a dark entity within her.

"Focus, Ada," Devereaux's voice, like a gentle whisper carried by the breeze, echoed through the clearing.

With his amber eyes ablaze and still in a defensive stance Dark Lord observed her with a patient intensity. His movements were swift and precise, a mesmerising display of anticipation and reaction. Ada gritted her teeth, determination etched on her face. She felt the energy pulsating within her, unpredictable yet potent. Her grip around the hilt of her sward tightened and she swayed it in the air unleashing her spells, aiming to strike him down. But he deftly sidestepped seemingly appear and disappear like a phantom.

The lake nearby reflected the dusky sky, adding a mystical aura to the training ground. The rhythmic sound of water lapping against the shore harmonised with the cadence of their movements. Leaves rustled and the scent of earth and pine permeated the air. Ada's feet pattered the clearing as she swirled around and pivoted, leaving traces of magic in her wake. With each failed attempt, she grew more resolute. She had once been the finest in this game. She was trained to be a Shadow Warrior from a very young age so the moves were still with her. Unless for the missing piece of her soul and the fragment of Gan's soul she bored in the gap she would have faced the Dark Lord better.