Story 2 - The Circle of Time

In an ordinary noon, the sun suddenly set and nobody noticed this strangeness except for seven special people. Many of the people stood up and turned on the lights like the sun always set at noon. Some complained about how the days were getting shorter and how quickly it had become evening.

A few individuals were seized by an intense discomfort, but they didn't care it. In different parts of the world, several people screamed and rushed out to the streets. They pointed at the sky and yelled but no one could understand why they were so terrified by the sunset.

A minute later, the sun rose again and climbed back to its peak, reaching its usual position. Most people, in the strong daylight did not immediately realize that the light in the room was still on. At various times of the day, they grumbled, 'I should be left the light on again...' and got up from their places to turn it off.

Of the seven people who realized the sun had suddenly set and then risen again, two believed it was a hallucination and went to a psychiatrist. One of them was actually schizophrenic, but just because a person occasionally sees unreal elements does not mean that every supernatural thing they see is unreal. The second person was an example of this.

However, the fact that a supernatural element seen by a schizophrenic was actually real does not prove that their other delusions are true. This would be one of the biggest misconceptions the reader would have in the continuation of the fiction.

The third person was asleep when the sun set, but the mysterious part of the human brain that perceives the environment even in sleep had witnessed the event. Startled awake by the terror that gripped the mysterious part of his brain, he looked around in the dark room with the black curtains drawn and noticed the daylight seeping under the door had disappeared. He had concluded it was already evening while asleep and was considering going back to sleep since he had nothing to do.

However, the mysterious part of his brain was still in terror. But this part was located in the right lobe of the brain. Since the speech center is in the left lobe, like all parts in the right lobe, it was mute. Therefore, it was impossible for it to articulate its terror into words and convey it to consciousness.

Desperately, the mysterious part sent signals to other parts of the brain, trying to alert the temple where consciousness resided. This effort had not translated into a meaningful message, but it wasn't futile either. The signals sent by the mysterious part were translated at the conscious level into a strong urge to check the time.

Thus, the third person suddenly felt the need to check the time, shifting his gaze from the darkness under the door to his watch. Seeing that it was noon, he could not believe his eyes. He turned back to the door in amazement, but by then the sun had risen again, and he was greeted by daylight seeping through the gap. He dismissed the incident as a simple illusion and continued with his life.

However, the same was not true for the mysterious part of his brain that perceived the environment even in sleep. This mysterious part continued to struggle to bring the incredible event it had witnessed to consciousness. It sent signals all around the brain from time to time, continuing to search for the hidden temple of consciousness. Each search manifested to the third person as an epileptic seizure.

The fourth person was a newborn, and the sudden setting and rising of the sun at noon did not create additional trauma for her. For a newborn, the sun rising in the morning and setting in the evening is already a trauma in itself.

The fifth person, terrified by what she had experienced, died in a car accident a few minutes after the sun rose again. In another universe, she was reborn. Sitting atop the memories hidden in her subconscious, she wrote these lines one night, creating a fictional universe.

In that universe, she crafted a group of seven fictional characters who noticed the sudden setting of the sun at noon. While writing the story of this extraordinary event, she felt a strong urge that the fifth person should be hit by a car a few minutes after the event. Following this urge, she killed the fifth character in her fiction through a traffic accident. Thereby, she concluded a consequality loop in fictional universe that she created where the deceased character was reborn as herself. Not causality, but consequality.

A cyclic time creates a vicious circle only in a system where time is two-dimensional. For someone who looks at time from above, all cycles are fertile.

The sixth person, realized that the people gathered around did not notice the oddity in the sun, quickly composed himself. Claimed he had fallen into a momentary sleep and had a nightmare, and then walked away. Then, he believed to his own lie. But seven years later, as he was about to pull the trigger of a shotgun in his mouth, he would realize that what he had seen was real.

The seventh person quickly got over the terror he had experienced. After stopping abruptly in the middle of the road with a sudden brake, he looked up at the sky and grumbled, 'If your stupid experiment is over, can we finally leave this universe ma' lady?'

Not receiving an answer, he muttered, 'Well, then I'll end the experiment myself,' and started his car again. Two streets later, finding what he was looking for in the sky, he smiled faintly and said, 'Now that I’ve finally found you, I can end the experiment and solve the problem once and for all.'

Then, a few hundred meters ahead, he ran over the fifth person, who was screaming and pointing at the sky, with his car, thereby annihilating the entire universe.

But remember, for someone who looks at time from above, even destroyed universes are part of a fertile cycle. And all fertile cycles can be resurrected at a moment when the time succumbs to entropy.

THE END —
(or is it?)

---------------------------

Note: This is an original story. All the short stories and books you read on this profile are entirely original. Please do not share them anywhere, do not use them as a source of inspiration, and do not translate them into other languages. Legal action will be taken in the event of plagiarism.

—Nilf Trismegistus