Chapter 2 - Heading That Way

Começar do início

"Hello, little girl," he grinned. "How's your first day of training?"

Kaelee could not help rolling her eyes. "Challenging. I like it. Thank you, Doc."

He nodded. Then his forehead creased upon noticing the way she panted. "Why are you breathing like that? You're too young for heart failure."

"Just a little...It's just a little hectic today, Doc."

Worry began to show on his face. "Oh, can you make it to my clinic after your training hours?"

Nervousness shot her straight to the chest. She almost forgot that after her training, she was obliged to assist the terror doctor in his clinic!

"Yes...Yes, of course." She puffed. 'I'll keep my end of the deal. Not a problem. Or else, you might take back my opportunity to train here.' "Excuse me, Doc, but I already need to return to the nurse station."

Surgeon Sin stepped aside to give way. "Well, there you go, little lady."

Kaelee ran down the remaining steps of the stairs that headed to the floor of the nurse station. Once she got there, she saw the nurses huddling in one corner of the nurse station. They seemed busy with their cell phones.

"Have you seen this post? They saw a corpse at the back of San Rafael University," asked one of them with eyes almost glued to the cell phone screen.

"Yes, girl," one of them answered with a crumpled face. "It's so gross, girls. The eyes were plucked out and the arms were cut off. Ugh!"

"Who on earth could do such a thing?"

"My goodness, you know, if Surgeon Sin is not a resident doctor here, I might accuse him. Only psychos like him can do such things like that," another one of them muttered, rolling her eyes which ended up meeting Kaelee's stare. "What are you looking at?"

The other nurses shot a bothered look at her before they made a few taps on their cell phones and shoved them back into the pockets of their scrub suits.

Kaelee answered the nurse who questioned her. "U-Uhm...I just got finished with checking the patient..."

The nurse snatched from her the clipboard where the patient's chart was. "Can you get us some mineral water in the cafeteria?"

"W-What?" she asked, surprised. She? Being asked by them to get some ...mineral water?

"Wa-ter," she spoke slowly as if she was talking to an idiot. "Get. Us. Some. Mi. Ne. Ral. Wa. Ter. In. The. Cafe. Teria."

Her friends giggled in the background, while Kaelee, who was not good at hiding her reactions, rolled her eyes. "Fine."

They didn't like the way she rotated her eyes.

"Do you want to flunk?" their leader gave her a side-eye.

Kaelee faked a smile and just decided to keep her mouth shut. It was her first day of training; she didn't want everything to end up in shambles because there would be no other training opportunities left for her. So, she obeyed what she was told to do. She had to wait forever before the elevator reached her floor and let her in, so she used the stairs again. This time, she slowed down her pace.

'I hope they are just testing my patience as part of the training,' she thought while dealing with her irritation at the way those nurses looked at her. 'They even talk behind Surgeon Sin's back, claiming that he's a psycho.'

She halted. Kaelee stared blankly at the wall in front of her on the landing of the stairs before she could turn to the right and climb down another flight of stairs.

'Well, he really looks like a psycho. Who's going to respect a person who has snake eyes? What is Surgeon Sin's deal and—'

"That's not very nice."

She gasped and when she turned, she saw the surgeon standing behind her. Kaelee placed a hand over her chest, over her nervously beating heart, and her eyes studied Surgeon Sin's smug little grin.

"H-How did you read my thoughts?"

He burst out laughing for a short second. "Your thoughts? Aren't you muttering stuff about me while you're staring at the wall?" Then he crossed his arms, looking down at her because he stood three steps higher from where she stood. "Who looks like a psycho now? Staring at walls, talking to the wall..."

Kaelee must be so stressed out, that she did not realize that she was already babbling all the thoughts that were running through her head. She did not argue with the doctor since she owed him her training opportunity at San Rafael Hospital. "Why are you even here? You went the other way after we met earlier, right?"

"To be honest, I was already far when I followed your tracks," he smirked. "Because I forgot to tell you my address."

She crossed her arms and watched the doctor step down the stairs to close in the distance between them. "You mean, the address of your clinic?"

"My address," he insisted, "because my clinic is just at the back of my house."

She let out a groan. "Alright. Where?"

He already walked past her, climbing down the stairs. "Let's talk about that at the cafeteria. We are both heading that way, right?"

Kaelee could only shake her head. "Yeah, right."