part 4 - birthday prank

« 🎂 »

" Lily~ " Haewon said through the phone.

" Good morning, Wonnie. " Lily smiled and wiggled her legs like a little girl with her crush and blushing like Haewon just made out with her. " Can you guess what date is it~? "

" Hmmm... it's the fourteenth, right? "

Lily laughed, thinking Haewon was joking, " Haewon-! "

" Oh, it's the seventeenth. I just checked the calendar. " Haewon said, " So what's up? Why did you call? "

" You're so cute Haewon, " Lily giggled, " Should we meet up today? For a date? "

" A date? Why so suddenly? " Haewon asked with confusion as Lily was beginning to feel as if Haewon isn't joking.

" Haha, Haewon. " Lily's smile dropped, " Y-You- It's a Thursday. It's November 17, Haewon! " Her heart starting to beat, nervous that Haewon actually forgot about this special date.

" Yeah... What's wrong with that? "

" You don't... " Lily was flabbergasted, there was no way Haewon forgot her birthday. They've always celebrated, they've celebrated for 19 something years already, " You don't remember? "

" Is it our anniversary, Lily? Oh wait no, it was in May... "

" H-Haewon... " Lily trailed off, " You're joking, right? "

" No... Is it supposed to be Vanilla's birthday? " Haewon asked with what Lily heard was genuine confusion, " Or is it your mom's birthday..? No, that one's in January. "

" Wow, Haewon. " Lily scoffed in disbelief, " You remember my mom's birthday, but don't remember what day this is?! And what are you doing outside of my apartment anyways?! "

" No, Lily- "

" You better come back this instant. " Lily shouted, " And when you come back you better fucking remember. " She angrily pushed the phone away from her ear and ended the call.

She huffed furiously before tossing her phone away, flying across her bed and landing on the edge. Tears were threatening to fall before Lily quickly wiped them away.

" Is she serious?! " Lily breathed heavily, her chest rapidly rising and falling, " She's probably doing one of those stupid pranks again. Of course. S-She's my Haewonnie after all... "

Lily was in denial, did Haewon really forget her birthday?

" No, this is too stupid to cry over. " Lily fanned her eyes, trying to prevent the tears from falling, " It isn't a special day at all. Just my birthday. Birthdays aren't special... "

After she calmed down, Lily heard her phone ping.

'4 Messages from My Haewonnie'

Lily clicked on the notification out of curiosity.

My Haewonnie

Koala bear
How about you come outside and we'll sort it out okay?
Lily?
Answer me please

Lily furrowed her eyebrows as she read the message over and over again. Should she go down and who was even in the wrong here? Maybe it was Haewon, but Lily's too sweet to think that that's Haewon's fault. 

Her hand trembling as she stared at Haewon's text. Lily wants to text something back to Haewon, but she doesn't know what she should say. Before she could make up her mind, another ping was heard from her phone.

My Haewonnie

Lily I know you're mad
But it's just a prank! I know it's your birthday, I remember it
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
Was it too much?

" Oh fuck. " Lily realised how gullible she was. She felt so guilty for shouting at Haewon over the phone for no reason. Lily rubbed her forehead with stress as she thought about what she should do.

" Should I say sorry in person or on text? " Lily asked herself, " No, she's going to come back anyways... Wait, is she even going to come back? I can't believe I cried over this. "

Just then, the door clicked. Lily could hear Haewon's steps slowly approaching closer to Lily's room. She looked at up at her door to see it slowly being opened as she heard small knocks.

" Hey, Lily. " Haewon softly whispered, " I know you feel bad, but it's not your fault- "

" H-Haewon— I- " Lily ran to Haewon and hugged her tightly, " I'm so sorry at yelling at you, I-I didn't know I was that gullible! "

" It's not your fault, Lily. It was a reasonable reaction. " Haewon caressed her back, " Y'know me, I make lots of pranks but I guess this one gone a bit too far? "

" Yeah... "

" Hey, it's fine though. " Haewon said as she brought up a transparent plastic box with a cake inside, " I bought you some cake, your favourite flavor. "

Lily gasped in shock, " Oh my gosh, thanks Haewon! "

" Forget about my prank and just eat this cake okay? We have other plans later. "