Chapter-28: Reach Out For Her.

Start from the beginning

"And why am I the problem, then? I didn't bother you to begin with. So why avoid me?" Maya could not understand why she was even bothered by his indifference.

"I told you, I am not avoiding you. I just need some time alone and you just happened to always be by my side." Maya looks at him at that. She doesn't know how to respond to him, so she stays silent.

"I should go," Maya says and stands up with her heart heavy with a feeling she could not recognize. Ranav as always felt the pull of his heart that yearned for the warmth that he never experienced in this life. What does it mean for him to yearn for it so much? Maya looked back at him as she left the room and his heart palpitated in his chest just with her one glance. He had no answers, but now, he was afraid of those answers.

***

Maya finds Atul Kaku vigorously texting someone on his phone and approaches him silently. He looks up at her and puts his phone aside immediately. It was Ketki Bua, Maya guessed.

"We didn't even talk properly since I arrived. How is your stay in India, Maya?"

"Great, Kaku. How are you now? I heard Kaki fell sick and had to stay back in Mumbai with her family." Atul nodded.

"She mostly misses her mother so I asked her to stay back." Maya nods along. "It's not like it's any better for her to be here." Atul murmurs and Maya looks at him confused. 

"What?" Atul shakes his head.

"You went through a lot these past few days. Take some rest." He says and leaves. So far, there was no sign of happiness in Atul's reaction to Maya and it bothers her. Atul Kaku is nothing like how he was described in Mom's diary and Maya could not decipher what must've changed him so much. He was once the kaku who was so excited to have a Niece and now he is not even interested in knowing Maya.

***

After a night's stay at the resort, everyone gathered at the lobby with their luggage to restart their journey. This time most of them were half asleep while others were fighting their sleep. The rest remained silent for various reasons. Akshay volunteered to drive this time with great persuasion to get Ranav to take the back seat. Maya, however, remained in the passenger seat with her airpods in as she looked out the window. She was lost in her thoughts as they finally reached Gira Falls. Throughout the journey, Akshay looked at Maya every chance he got, trying to muster the courage to tell her about his feelings. They check in at a clock house to store their luggage and freshen up. Maya a blue floral one-piece dress that reaches just past her knees. The lower part is more like a short pant that looks like a frock, the pleats covering the separation of cloth. Ranav changed into a faint sea green shirt that was transparent with a white t-shirt underneath. He left the buttons open to the front, his long sleeves pushed up and paired them with some grey sweatpants and his black and white crocs. Akshay wore a plain black shirt with shorts. He wore Crocs as well and his were red ones with his favourite Marvel character Spider-Man printed on them. Amish went with his routine, with a formal blue button-down with a pair of trousers and fortunately wore sneakers instead of his regular leather boots. Clear by his outfit, Amish does not plan on getting in the water. 

They all meet outside as they watch Aditya walk excitedly in his floral Hawai shirt with orange shorts that make him look funny. Maya knew he was doing it on purpose, which meant he was trying to make the atmosphere lighter or distracting them. She wondered what he was bothered about. Is it his painting classes, and the inspiration that he has been complaining about?

Maya looks at the beautiful waterfalls as they finally reach the spot. Amish got busy setting up their tents with the help of Aditya. The rest haven't arrived yet and Ms. Meenakshi seems completely uninterested in the trip itself but Maya is sure that Ms. Kuhu would make an appearance as she seems to be too interested in Maya. Parul Dadi, like every other day, is working up a good and healthy menu and the essentials for a camping night. Akshay, Maya and Ranav decide to walk around near the waterfalls. Akshay takes out his camera to take some pictures. If it weren't for his lack of interest, Akshay would make a great photographer. He even did a short course on it but later gave up his interest to work for his father. This only pressured Aditya more for his reluctance to give up on his painting career for Dad's business. Aditya's lack of essence in his painting didn't help in making a strong case in front of Dad either.

Akshay walked in the front as they walked on a straight rock over which a small stream of water was flowing, just gracing the bottom of their feet but not enough to lose their footing. The rock continued and led them to the other side.

Akshay turned around to take pictures of Maya, who was walking just behind him. He focused his lens on her as he walked backwards to capture her beautiful smile as she looked at the waterfalls, walking forward and unaware of him taking pictures. Oblivious to the world around her, she basks in the glowing sun and as his lens captures her beauty, the focus lapses onto the person behind her. Ranav walked behind Maya looking at her with an expression that made Akshay uncomfortable. A little thing called insecurity tugged at his heart as the camera shook in his hand. Without even realizing he clicked a photo as his finger pressed down on the button. The sound of the click snapped him out of his state and Maya looks at him with wide eyes. Looking at Akshay, Maya loses her balance on the water flowing under her feet and falls backwards. Akshay reaches out to hold her arm while Ranav catches her from behind to prevent the fall. Maya was safely held mid-air with Akshay holding her hand and Ranav placed both his hands on Maya's back to balance her. They both held onto her as they looked up at each other. Akshay and Ranav looked at each other with a conflict going in each of their minds. They seemed to suspect and understand each other at the same time as neither of them let the other help Maya up. Akshay pulls Maya as Ranav pushes her to stand on her feet. She pats her dress off the water droplets, seemingly oblivious to the silent tension between the two men around her.

A realization took place as the two men looked at each other with both fear and doubt. One of them has to make a move.

***

Sorry for the late update, guys. Lazy because of the Pongal holidays. I will be more regular until Feb.

***