011 / The Tunnel Of Love Takes A Turn

( Chapter Eleven ━━━ Two Paper Airplanes Flying ! )

It took a couple of minutes for us to build up the courage to actually leave the diner. By the time we reached the water park, the sun was setting behind the mountains. Some of the letters on the sign were smashed out, so what used to read WATERLAND, now read WAT R A D.

The gate was topped with barbed wire and padlocked. The place looked creepy, a little sad. There were huge waterslides—dry—leading to empty pools. Tickets and advertisements littered the ground.

"I'd hate to see what his girlfriend looks like if Ares brought her here for a date," Percy said, staring at the barbed wire above.

Annabeth shook her head. "Be more respectful, Percy," she warned, glancing at Colton.

He shrugged. "His girlfriend is pretty short-tempered."

"Yeah, I wouldn't insult her looks," I told him.

Percy shot me a confused look. "Who is she? Echidna?"

"The goddess of love herself, Percy. Aphrodite," Colton said, turning the padlock over in his hands. "Should I break this?"

"We can't be charged with a crime right now," I warned. He dropped the lock, taking a couple steps away with his hands up in surrender.

Percy glanced at me. "How do we get in?"

"Maia!" Grover shouted and his shoes sprouted wings. He floated over the fence, doing an accidental somersault in the air. Then, he stumbled and landed hard on the ground. "You guys coming?" he asked as he dusted off his jeans.

Annabeth and Percy climbed over the fence, holding the barbed wire down for each other as they crawled over the top.

As they climbed the fence, Colton turned to me. "I'm breaking the lock," he said, not giving me any time to answer as he grabbed a rock. He slammed the rock into the padlock a couple times before it broke, holding the fence open for me to step through first.

"You couldn't have done that sooner?" Percy questioned.

Colton shrugged. "Water girl said no the first time."

I rolled my eyes, falling in line next to Annabeth as we walked. The boys followed behind us.

   We found a souvenir shop that hadn't been locked up. Snow globes, pencils, post cards, and racks of clothes lined the shelves. Annabeth and I grabbed an entire row of clothes from the racks and disappeared into the changing rooms, even though Percy told us we couldn't steal these clothes.