001 / We Have A New Camper

( Chapter One ━━━ Kerosene In My Hands ! )

Being what they call a half-blood was not in the cards for me, but you do what you've got to do when your mom leaves you at nine years old. She never was the best mother anyway. I was always the root of her problems even as an infant—she told me herself.

   I always just assumed the reason my father was absent was because he simply didn't want me, or that he was dead. I didn't mind much either way. It's not everyday your mother tells you the reason why he was gone is because he was a god, you know, from the Greek myths, not to mention, a powerful one at that (but she didn't know which one? That didn't help me too much).

   When my mom (her name was Elizabeth Adams. I'm not sure if she's still alive) left, I ran away, not that I was running from much. I met a group of half-bloods, like me, and a satyr. We encountered a couple monsters, but the satyr escorted us safely (if you could count one of us dying and the other, me, fainting from blood loss: safe) to a place called Camp Half-Blood.

   I had not left camp in years, not since I arrived—except for the occasional field trips we took—neither had the two half-bloods I arrived with. We had each been claimed in the week of our coming: one by Athena, the goddess of wisdom and battle, one by Hermes, the god of travelers, and me, claimed by the god of the sea, Poseidon.

   After I was claimed, I got used to the loneliness of cabin three as there were no other children of Poseidon at camp. Normally, I could be found out at the lake, which is where I'm sitting now, telling you all of this.

   "Amara! I knew I would find you here," the voice of Calliope Waters filled my ears. I sat up on the dock, my feet hanging in the water below. No one really came to the lake, especially when they knew I was there. Calliope was the only person who ever did, besides Luke Castellan and Annabeth Chase.

   I gave my friend a smile, "Hi, Callie," I greeted gently. Calliope was the Daughter of Aphrodite, but she wasn't snotty like a few of her brothers and sisters (most of the Aphrodite kids were so sweet). The girl was sunlight personified. At first glance, everyone thought she was an Apollo kid, but she wasn't.

   "Did you hear?" Callie asked.

   "No, but I bet you'll tell me," I teased.

   Callie grinned, looking down at me, "There's a new camper. He killed the Minotaur, Mara."

   I got to my feet, my brows furrowed, "The Minotaur?"

   "Yeah. A few nights ago. Grover brought him," the blonde explained.

   "Nobody tells me anything," I said, shaking my head. I didn't have many friends. Obviously, I had Luke, Annabeth, a satyr named Grover, and Callie. The rest of the campers were more hesitant than them to be friends with the Daughter of Poseidon.