chapter 1 - sydney

౨ৎ ⋆。˚"I'd love to see me from your point of view..."˚。⋆౨ৎ
- pov, ariana grande

TW: brief mention of past + hinting towards past e.d.

It's been nearly two months since my first day of college, and if I were to tell you I wasn't feeling good about it.. I would be lying. I am doing really well, a bit too well. I moved from Kendal, United Kingdom to Brooklyn, New York. While it was a big change, it was a change that needed to be made. Of course, I really miss some of my family... but I also needed a break. I grew up in a household where I had to take care of my siblings. My parents were never home and I was exhausted of having to do my homework, make them dinner, make sure they get tidied up, get them to bed, then do everything for myself to finish off the day. It was a lot of work and on top of all of that I had to find time to get a job to make some money. My parents would constantly call me selfish for wanting to get extra money than spend time with - take care of, my siblings.  

"Sydney! Can you come over and see if this frame is even?!" Alana shouted from her bedroom.

Alana was my roommate, basically my closest friend in New York. We always help each other when needed and she helps me get around the city since everything is still very new to me.

"Of course, one moment!" I answered back while grabbing something to use as a bookmark. I REFUSE to puppy dog ear a page. 

Hmm... my earbuds? Nope..

This napkin? Maybe...

Perfect a receipt!

"COMING ALANA!" 

I barge into her room and see in the frame a picture of us. 

"Oh Alana! It looks splendid!" I give her a big tight hug.

"I'm glad you like it! Would you maybe like to go grab something to eat?"

"I'm not all that hungry but I will go with you to get something, where were you thinking?"

"Something easy like the meat deli down the block at Berry St. and 2nd St?"

"Sure, let me change into something else real quick. I'll be ready in five!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What are you going to get, Alana?"

"Probably just a turkey sub, you sure you don't want anything? It's my treat!"

"Well if you say that, I'll take a look at what they have!" We both burst out laughing, nearly rolling on the streets of Brooklyn. We were definitely getting some strange looks. 

"One more avenue block then we will be there." Alana says while showing me the directions on her phone.

"There I see it!" 

"Perfect, let's head inside."

"Wait." Alana leans close to my ear, "That guy, he looks so familiar...?! Oh my god, he is in our communications class!?"

"Isn't he on the hockey team?" I say in her ear.

"Yeah, he is like totally hot!! WAITTT we should go say hi to him!"

"Absolutely not, let him live his life. Plus, regardless if he is hot all hockey players are manwhores." 

We both start uncontrollably laughing causing hockey boy to look over, he then starts talking to his friend leaning in his ear.