The Maze

A/n: picture is an ai generated image of our girl waking up in the maze
~
The first thing I heard was the rustle of... something beneath me as a small breeze brushed by.

I groaned, my head pounding as I braced my hands beneath me. I peeled my eyes open, hissing slightly as the blinding light hit them. As my sight adjusted, I realized that I was laying on a thin layer of leaves and vines, an odd grey flooring lying underneath it. Panic suddenly rose in my chest.

Where am I?

I managed to get myself up, spinning in a slow circle as I examined my surroundings.

What is this place?

I was in what appeared to be a long corridor, tall grey walls surrounded me covered in vines. My eyes took purchase on the end of the corridor, showing two different ways I could turn. I took two steps forward before stumbling, a tingling sensation buzzing beneath my skin one moment and disappearing in the next. I winced at the feeling.

What was that?

Grunting, I took a few more struggling steps forward before my body seemed to remember how to function again. I brushed a piece of dark brown hair away from my face-

Wait, how long is my hair? What do I look like?

I panicked further when the answer didn't come to me, eyeing the hair that hung just past my chest. At least I knew the color of my hair. I made it to the end of the corridor, eyeing both directions before I noticed large letters on the wall to the left. I jogged over to it, brushing the few vines that hung in my way away and took in the letters. W.C.K.D.

"What is W.C.K.D..." I muttered, frowning when I realized I had no clue. I continued down the corridor anyways, making turns based on what felt right and just hoping that I'd find a way out of here. I had come to realize quickly it was a maze, and surely if I had somehow managed to get myself into this maze, then there would have to be an exit as well, right? I sighed,

Why am I even here?

~

Ava Paige watched the screen in front of her with a keen eye, eyeing subject A0's chemical responses and waiting for any sign of a magical response.

Mary Cooper stood next to her, hoping against hope that Mav would show no signs of magic. If she did, and Ava Paige murdered her, she would kill the blonde herself.

After a few moments, Doctor Paige nodded satisfactorily. "Her chip has passed the tests of induced panic, disorientation, and memory loss. Congratulations Doctor Cooper, your invention is a success. Janson, have your crew in the safety guidance control room direct subject A0 to the center of the Maze."

"It'd be my pleasure."

Mary stiffened, hearing the man standing uncomfortably close behind her.

"Doctor Cooper, do you wish to observe A0's progress with me? You're the best equipped to ensure that her magic reflecting chip is working properly, after all." He said, laying a hand on the small of her back.

Mary gritted her teeth as she saw the amused glance Doctor Paige sent between them. Knowing she couldn't say no, she nodded. "Of course, let's go." She said stiffly, leading the way and quickly leaving the room- and his grasp.

Janson quickly caught up with her, walking close enough to brush his arm against hers. She internally gagged. Janson was a creep, commonly referred to as "rat man" by herself and a few close colleagues. She had tried to gently turn him down without outright saying it, but the man couldn't seem to take a hint.

She sighed inaudibly in relief as they made it to the control room, further relieved to see two people that she trusted. "Vince, Charlotte!" She greeted with a tense smile. They both looked up, smiles tensing when they saw who hovered next to her. Vince quickly stood and walked over to them, "I'm sure you're here to watch Ma- uh, A0's progress? Here, let me show you." He said, taking her elbow and leading her over to where they were sitting.