Chapter 5

Saturday, (10/17/XX) 3:45PM

It's been a few days since I discovered my school campus had become a school for ghouls and demons at night. Nikolas and I have stayed in contact with one another, but it's difficult for us to consistently communicate as we live polar lives. When he sleeps I'm awake and vice versa. Sometimes I wonder how his life is compared to mine. I stayed with him for one school day, but that was only a snippet of his lifestyle.

"AKIO! WATCH OUT!" Ryunosuke screamed at me.

I turned my head and nearly dodged a soccer ball flying in my direction. I sighed and felt relieved that I prevented another bloody nose at practice.

"You've been zoning out often. Are you feeling alright, Akio?" One of my teammates questioned. "Go take a break." He handed me a towel to wipe off my sweat.

I nodded and walked to the side of the field. I took out my phone and saw I got a message from Nikolas.

Can you hang out next week on Sunday?

I can!

You can invite your friends too

I don't think I would be able to handle spending time with Nikolas alone, so I was relieved he made the suggestion.

Ok! I'll see you then

For the rest of practice, I couldn't stop smiling.

Sunday (10/25/XX), 10:00AM

"..."

"..."

I cleared my throat. "Um, this is Nikolas. He's the one who had my sports equipment."

"Why the hell is he so tall?" Sen murmured to me. "He's at least 180cm."

"It's nice to meet you. Akio talked about you–" I stepped on Ryunosuke's foot and gritted my teeth.

Nikolas watched us with unwavering eyes. He wore a gray hoodie with a black graphic design on the back with black jeans. I noticed that he had piercings on his ears: a small hoop for his first holes, two silver studs on his left lobe, one silver stud on his right lobe, and a double helix on his right ear.

Despite how simple his outfit was he still looked handsome.

Ryunosuke was hopping on one foot as I turned to Nikolas. "A-anyways, why don't we start heading to the place? Our appointment is in 20 minutes."

We arrived at the Escape Room place where we were greeted by a couple of staff members. They gave us instructions and a rundown of the rules. No pets were allowed so Kazu could not come in, which led to him growling incessantly.

"Alright, now choose your partners. Once that's decided we'll blindfold you." The staff member stated while holding up pieces of fabric.

Sen and Ryunosuke forced me and Nikolas to be together. My right hand was then cuffed to his left. The staff blindfolded us and escorted everyone to the escape room.

The first fifteen minutes consisted of us trying to find clues. Ryunosuke had a knack for puzzles while Sen and Nikolas were good at finding clues and keys. Some places were hard to see because of the dim lights, but Nikolas walked around with confidence.

It must be his heightened senses. I concluded.

"Guys, a door opened here!" Ryunosuke called out from the other end of the room.

We all stood in front of what seemed to be an entrance to a tunnel. Everyone except Nikolas was scared.

I clenched Nikolas's sleeve nervously, grabbing his attention. His eyes watched me as he crouched down, "We'll go first."