Chapter 21 : Frustration and comfort

Start from the beginning

With purposeful strides, they traversed the maze of containers before retrieving a notebook titled 'Aeonstep' in golden letters and an ancient feather pen from the left pocket of their long black coat. Opening the notebook, they inscribed something onto a page, the script glowing with a golden light. Ripping out the page, they revealed a shimmering golden gate matching their height. Stepping towards it, they disappeared along with the gate, leaving no trace of their presence behind.

___________

(Y/N) pov

"W-Wait Dazai! I can explain!" You exclaimed as you were driven by Dazai's hand, Kunikida and Junichiro running ahead.

But Dazai paid no heed, steadfastly maintaining his rapid pace. His anger was palpable, a tempest swirling beneath the surface. This wasn't a reaction you had anticipated. While some might interpret it as concern, especially given his history, you couldn't reconcile it with the Dazai Osamu you knew. He was the strategist, someone who would predict and orchestrate everything to make it goes as he planned to while watching his comprades fight with trust, rarely letting his emotions take the reins. 

As you continued your quick pace through the streets on the way to the agency, you tried again to make Dazai react, changing the subject, "W-what about Atsushi? We saw him earlier fighting against someone, will he be okay? Shouldn't we help him?"

Dazai didn't look at you, his voice cold as he continued to hold your hand, "Atsushi has his own battles to fight, just like everyone else. He's not a helpless kitten anymore. Trust in his abilities."

Frustration and confusion welled up within you. "I trust in his abilities, but I still don't get it. Why are you so angry toward me? I'm fine, so, why?"

Coming to a halt alongside Kunikida and Junichiro, Dazai let go of your hand and turned to face you, his gaze penetrating. "You want me to tell you? It's because of your actions earlier. Who in their right mind charges towards their enemies when their main objective is to escape them?"

You clenched your fists. He sounded just like Elyndor, pinpointing every flaw, and it irked you. "I understand that, but in that moment, I had this instinct telling me it was an opportunity to absorb Evelynn's power, and I felt capable of doing so."

Dazai's gaze remained unwavering. "And what did you plan to achieve, apart from recklessly rushing into danger? Go on, I'm listening."

You struggled to articulate your thoughts. "I... well... I felt that I had the ability to do so with Elyndor's assistance. You know, the entity that aids me in managing my power."

Dazai raised an eyebrow. "Really? And how exactly could she have assisted you? Is there a connection to why you suddenly appeared the moment I reached out to you from behind, and why Evelynn couldn't utilize her power anymore?"

You swallowed nervously. "T-there is! You see, I learned she had a new power that allowed her to stop the flow of time to appear before me and she used it back then to help me. I could even move when she stopped time so I used this opportunity she gave me to go absorb Evelynn's power in her coat and when I finished, I thought it would be funny to surprise you by being behind you before telling Elyndor to reset time again."

Dazai stayed silent, processing what you just said "I see... that explain why."

You couldn't let go of Dazai attitude, "But I still don't understand! Why are you overreacting like that?! You know that I have the ability to defend myself! I'm strong, so why?!"

Dazai frowned and exclaimed, "It's because I'm worried about you! Since I encountered you, you always ended up in troubles and ended hurt in the end! Even if you're strong doesn't mean you can't get hurt!"