Chapter 43 - Ice Lad

Start from the beginning

But, his predictions of the snow never went wrong.

Maven rolled up his sleeves to wipe off some snow. He wasn't wearing any fancy layers such as fur coats or jackets, just a single white formal shirt and black pants.  Add with his blue tie adorned with a gold chain.

Immortals are unique of their kind, it takes years to understand what an immortal can do. And for Maven, his body was just as cold as ice. And more underneath his powers.

He was worried about the health, fuel, and shelter of the villagers during the upcoming blizzard. Although the house was built with durable materials that could withstand cold humidity and temperature, he was uncertain whether it would be enough to keep everyone safe from the gushing stormy wind.

"This blizzard was way stronger than the rest we handled."

He recalled the meeting, surprisingly few of the ice elemental mages have the same visions too.

As he walked to the station, people greeted him warmly, especially the kids who loved his childlike manner despite his age. His foot finally reached the door, the warmth sent shivers down his spine.

As Maven walked into the office, he asked, "So?" He noticed Blake, who was sitting at a desk, sipping a cup of warm chocolate milk. His comrade was a bit worried, and Maven wondered what was bothering him.

"Ya... don't want to go back to your sister?" Blake said, offered a cup of chocolate as well.

"Why?" Maven's heart skipped a beat as Blake's voice broke the silence of the office. It was unusual for someone as reserved as his comrade to speak so plainly and directly, so his curiosity was piqued. His gaze intensified, and he could see the nervous fidgeting. He took the cup into his grasp

"I heard she... made a fuss? I don't know, but she's been the talk right now."

Fuss?

What does he mean?

"How so?" Maven pondered. "What fuss?"

"I don't know, all I know is that she returned to Eternal Afiat two days ago."

"Wait what?!" The ice mage choked on his drink, a few dripped on the floor.

"Sorry, damn it." He coughed, gasping for air.

"Why are ya so shocked?" His comrade's eyebrow raised.

Maven raked his fingers through his blue hair. "Jeez suddenly... I feel... something's off. You know, when your family, siblings got into trouble you got that gut or tingly feeling-" He hair explained, his hands moving fervently in the air to emphasize his words. 

"Yea, yea I know... I ain't overthinking bout it if I were ya. Maybe she returned, resign back." Blake shrugged, rolling his eyes away.

"Hm.. Maybe..." He rubbed his chin. Deep down he knew it was not something that Felicia would do, he knew his sister well enough, eight years apart does not mean he lacked something.

"Why don't ya go home? take a break."

"Eh? What about the blizzards? Who's gonna take care of the villagers? Who's gonna take care and entertain the kids, bro?" Maven boomed, and placed his cup on the desk. A few drops spilled on the wooden material.

"You act like ya the only one who is an ice elemental." 

"Well, at least I'm the best ice wielder in Antarctica, duh! This is Maven Faust Roesia, dude!" He confidently boasted, his hands banging against his chest and arms spread wide.

"Ya sister or the kids ya barely know their last names?" Blake insisted.

Maven halted his vivid, large movements. "Jeez, don't put it like that... my sister of course." He grumbled, rubbing his neck.

"Go, take a fortnight break... me and the other ice dudes got in handy."

"If the kids are unhappy I will sue you, make sure you handle the upcoming blizzard too!" Maven busted out from the wooden office, heading to his cabin. "This year is wilder than the rest we had!" He craned his head back to Blake and yelled.

What could possibly Felicia do now? Maven did not often experience a bad intuition, but when he did, he did not like it. He hoped that it had nothing to do with the intense darkness that his sister carried within her. He had already suppressed it once, and if anything were to trigger it again, he was unsure if he could push the darkness down again.

Maven knew, he was as shrewd as his sister.

When she stepped out of her world, certain factors can trigger.

A lot.

Even a small, seemingly insignificant incident like someone bumping into Felicia and not apologizing can make her temper flare up and trigger her dark emotions.

"Ugh, what is sis up to right now..." He muttered under his breath, unlocking his cabin.

He already warned her sister not to leave her world, and to stay by his side if she needed help. Or anything dealings that she annoyingly needed besides everything she had, Maven must be there.

"Why does my big sister don't listen to me? Ugh, dang it why do I have to take care of her like she's the young one."

With a flick of his wrist, the snow on his boots and hair vaporized into steam. It was a habit he always had, in order to avoid his sister's scolding for bringing snow into the house. The habit had become so ingrained in him that he even did it at home, where there was no need to worry about his sister's disapproval.

Maven plopped himself on the bed, letting himself drown in the cold cabin. He did not bother to light the fireplace. He darted at his nightstand, to a frame containing a photo of their family. Maven had the same shades of hair as their mother, while Felicia was like their father.

"I can't lose you, not in this endless life." He mumbled. 

Maven remembered how his sister told him that she was chosen, in her 25. He remembered the fear that he experienced. However years after his sister's turn, he was granted immortality to be with Felicia.

An honourable gift but a hefty price to pay.

Most immortals will outlive their loved ones, the chosen one will be bestowed alone, leaving the rest as mere mortals. They have to see their families, lovers, and friends die due to natural causes or even old age. Most immortals took the Eternal Afiat as their family, the friend they made along their duties were their families.

The Roesia siblings were lucky enough to be bestowed together.