Epilogue

Part 34
***
3 Months Later...

It had only taken a second for your life to change.

It started out as a warm, peaceful day at the newly renovated Barton house. The sun was shining, making it hot out, but there was a breeze that cooled it perfectly. The family decided to get together to do a cookout and just enjoy being together. Laura, Clint's ex wife, was visiting with all the kids today, and Clint was outside enjoying some quality time with them.

The family was once again reunited.

You looked out the tiny window over the sink, watching Laura set the table. Watching Cooper and Nathaniel play catch, and watching Clint work with his daughter, Lila, on shooting bow. A smile made its way to your face at watching such a familiar scene.

A sudden kick brought you back to reality, and your hand went over to your stomach, rubbing the spot where the little baby inside you had kicked. It always brought a sense of relief when looked down to see that bump of life that you and Clint had created. Alive and well and coming any day now.

It'd taken years for you and Clint to conceive. After years of not getting anything, you both assumed it was just impossible. Yet, 5 years and some months ago, you started to show symptoms of being pregnant, and sure enough, you finally got those positive markings. Back then, you weren't sure if you'd have a son or a daughter. Now you knew you were having a little girl.

You finish up what you needed to in the kitchen and walk out onto the porch, holding the dip you'd been preparing, and watching Clint and Lila.

"Deep breath.. focus... release." Clint was saying. "Yeah! That's my girl!" You smile and walk down the stairs, Clint's eye beaming and full of life. "Go get your arrow, sweetheart."

You make your way over to them, Clint gently slipping an arm around you and bringing you in close to his chest. He kisses your forehead and then looks back to his sharp shooter. "She's incredible. Isn't she?" He hums.

"She is." You smile, smiling as you feel Clint's hand drift to your stomach, giving it a loving rub.

"Dad! You want to play catch for bit?" Cooper asks as he runs up to you. Clint wraps his other arm around his son.

"Sure, buddy. Go grab your glove." He says, patting his back and Cooper slips out of his hold.

"I still can't believe you found my glove!" Cooper shouts as he runs to grab it, making Clint laugh.

"Oh, me either..." He mutters, giving you a knowing look that makes you giggle.

"I'm gonna set this down." You tell him, pressing a kiss to his cheek and then making your way to the picnic table.

You greeted Laura and started to help set up the plates and silverware. Once everything was set, Laura glances towards Clint and the kids. "Alright you four! Come grab a bit to eat!"

"Alright, Laura! We're coming!" Clint calls back, and you watch as the four set their things down and make their way over to the table.

A particularly strong gust of wind blew through the little farm, causing some napkins to blow from the table. You should have put something on them to keep them from flying away. With a sigh, you went to retrieve them. You just finished cleaning up the place. You didn't want any litter in the yard.

As you bend down to pick them up, you can't help but draw some parallels. Looking down at the napkins in your hands, you can recall a time where, when you turned around, your life had been forever changed. Where all that remained was dust and brokenness. As you turn around now, you see a happy family sitting at a picnic table.

Years ago, on this very farm, it had only taken a second for your life to change. And as you look at the family before you, you come to realize just how precious every second is. Cause one second you have everything you could ever want, and the next it could be gone.

As you make your way back to the picnic table, you make a vow to make every second count.