The Finale

Part 31
***
Of all the battles and missions you had been a part of during your career, from being a shield agent and an avenger, this was certainly the hardest fight of your life. While you had suffered far worse injuries than a sprained ankle and some cuts and bruises, being pregnant changed everything.

While you desperately wanted to help with the fighting, it made no sense for you to be involved. At this rate, you were a liability on the field. Sometimes the best thing to help the fight was to leave it. You were content to accept that you'd done your part.

Of course though with Clint being mostly uninjured and still an asset to the fight, it made sense for him to go back. So you would stay behind, offer help behind the lines, while Clint went back. But before he did, he wanted to make sure you'd be safe. Last time he left you, you'd almost died.

"Ok, before I go, we should move you further back." Clint says, glancing around to make sure this truly was a safe area at the moment. You were still fairly close to all the action, but there were no immediate threats. "Do you still have your pistol?" He asks, focusing his attention back on you. His hands patted at the sides of your thighs, trying to feel for your holster.

You shake your head, too tired to brush his hands away. "No, the Chitauri probably took it when they took me. And my knife." You realize after feeling Clint search by your boot where you would usually stash them.

"Alright, here." Clint reached for his thigh holster and pulled out a small pistol, clicking on the safety before handing it over to you. You instantly shake your head, trying to push it back towards him.

"No, Clint, you need this more than me." You protest, but Clint was insistent.

"I have a sword and my bow. And I've been able to retrieve most of my arrows, so I have plenty to work with. Plus you know I prefer to use my bow over a gun anyway. And you need something to defend yourself with."

You sigh softly as you take the gun from him. It did feel nice to have the weapon, and you knew Clint was more than capable of fighting with what he had, but you worried still. You loved him, so you were going to worry. Clint seemed to realize your reluctance as you took the weapon and gently brushed his fingers along your jaw to get your attention.

"Hey, I've survived the Chitauri before with less. I'll be alright. Just focus on taking care of this one." He places his hand over your swollen baby bump. "I'll be alright, mama." He smiles, and you give him a smile back.

A rather small explosion close by breaks the moment, making both you and Clint shrink down a little and wince. Clint's expression gets serious then as he looks back to you. "Alright, let's get going, honey. Can you walk even a little bit?" He asks, getting to his feet and holding his hands out for you to take.

You nod your head, grabbing hold of his hands. "Yeah, I can walk a little. I might just need a little help."

Clint pulls you up onto your feet, and you stumble into him a bit. He steadies you, holding onto your arms as you get your footing.

"All good?" He asks, brushing hair from your eyes.

You hum softly and nod but then see a flash of movement behind him. Leaning a little to get a better glance, your heart skips when you see a Chitauri charging towards you. "Sh*t! Behind us!" You shout, making Clint quickly look behind him. He instantly saw the creature and grabs you, trying to get you out of the way. He just manages to move a few feet out of the Chitauri's path, and you can see the beast as it charges past you.

The second your feet (well, foot) are back on the ground, your fighting instincts kick in again. You draw your gun as Clint draws his bow. As he is pulling back an arrow, you fire off two shots, hitting the Chitauri in the head both times. Clint fires an arrow, finishing it off. There's a moment of silence as you both just come down from the adrenaline.