𝟓𝟏

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟏

It had been a few days since Maeve was discharged from the hospital and she was already sat in Tommy's office, her feet on the desk and her eyes scanning over the patterns engraved into the fancy table.

The door swung open. "Sorry to keep you waiting," Tommy walked in, hanging his coat up beside the door and standing at the opposite end of the table. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm good. Why on earth was there a boy fighting downstairs? Do they know this is a factory and not a boxing gym?" She asked. Tommy grunted and took out a box of cigarettes. "Feet off the table," he scolded.

Maeve rolled her eyes and did so, accepting a cigarette when he pointed the box toward her. "Was there a specific reason for your visit, Maeve?"

"Am i not allowed to see my dear uncle?" Maeve asked, tilting her head. Tommy rolled his eyes jokingly and blew smoke into the air. "Maeve Shelby never goes anywhere unannounced without reason." He said.

She grinned. "Doesn't she? Sounds like a great person, any chance i could meet her?"

Tommy shook his head and glanced through the blinds out into the hallways. "I heard from someone that you want Finn to move in with ya." He said. She nodded proudly. "I do. Not like he has anywhere else to go."

"That's not true." Tommy disagreed. She hummed, "yes it is." Maeve wasn't arguing with him, but instead just correcting him. She wasn't particularly in the mood for arguing.

Before either of them could continue, a man entered. "I did say this would happen," he said nervously. Tommy walked over to Maeve, standing behind her chair. "Who's next?" Tommy asked.

The man looked down at his list. "Someone from the European Council for Trade. He's here to talk about the import of car parts to France."

Tommy placed two hands on the desk and looked down. "Right."

"He's come all the way from Paris. But given your recent family trouble, i can send him away." The man suggested. Tommy looked up. "Given what trouble? Send him in."

Maeve grinned and watched the man leave for a few moments. "From France." She tutted. Footsteps echoed outside before the door opened once more.

"Mr Shelby, this is Monsieur Pas from Paris." He introduced, a man close behind. A man who had a face Maeve couldn't help but recognise. Tommy also recognised him. The door closed again, leaving just the three of them in the room.

"I heard you had trouble. It's good of you to see me." He began, his accent thick. Maeve sat forward and held a hand up to him, "hold on a minute you ain't French. You're from bloody America—where is it? New York!" She excused.

Tommy placed a hand on her shoulder to stop her. "You just came from Paris, eh?"

The dark haired man unbuttoned his jacket and took a seat. "You know Paris?" He asked. Tommy stared at him, "i left Paris in a cattle truck. They said you were French."

"No, i came here from Paris. That does not mean i'm French." He grinned. Maeve leaned forward, "something funny?"

"Maeve." Tommy warned.