𝟏𝟒

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒

Maeve leaned on her fist as she watched Arthur count the numbers on the page. She knew his calculations were incorrect but she didn't want to tell him.

"These cigarettes have a strange smell to them, Arthur." Grace called out from the front room of the Garrison. "They smell like rotten water and look, rats have gotten into some of them. They're stolen are they not?"

"Don't ask." Arthur mumbled, scribbling down on the paper.

"They smell cause you keep them in the boat." Grace told him. Maeve rolled her eyes so far that they could've reached the back of her head. "What do you care, eh? Can you come and check my adding up. Please." He said in annoyance.

Grace placed the box down and peered over his shoulder, taking his pencil. "Y'know, you should make a new start to this place. Do it properly. These cigarettes are not to sell."

"Smells like Gallipoli." Arthur sniffed.

"You should find a new place to store them." Grace suggested. Maeve hummed, "it has to be far away from coppers."

"But not rats?" Grace smiled. "You are a rat," Maeve muttered so quiet that nobody heard her.

"All the walls have rats, Grace." Arthur added. "What's wrong with a dry warehouse?" Grace continued writing.

"Tommys orders."

"What orders?"

"Always keep contraband by petrol boat moorings." He said. "Don't boats get searched?" She frowned. "We moor them at junctions, so there's more than one way out." He grinned.

"Your brother doesn't obey the law but he has rules. Precise man, your brother." She walked out.

"Is my adding up right?" He shouted. "It is now," she replied.

"She asks too many questions," Maeve squinted. "She's no good, telling you now."

-

Thea stood at the bottom of Maeve's window, struggling as she threw a third stone at the glass. "Maeve!" She hissed loudly. "Maeve, come on!"

Maeve frowned at the muffled noise from outside her window and climbed across her bed, sliding it open. "Theadosia?" Maeve whispered, "the fuck are you doing here, you know i'm grounded."

"I know, that's why i've came. Everyone's down at the Garrison, come down." Theadosia smiled innocently, Maeve barely able to see her in the dark. She thought for a moment. "Dad would kill me if he saw me out, there's blinders on every corner."

"Then can i come up to you instead then?" The brunette suggested. Maeve bit her bottom lip and thought, "yeah, come on then. Climb the fence." Maeve nodded toward the cobble fence beside the drain pipe.

She watched with a smile as Theadosia struggled to climb in her dress. "Here you are," Maeve lowered her hand, attempting to pull her up. It took a while but eventually Thea got inside.

Then it hit Maeve, "why didn't you just use the door? If everyone's out you could've just came in."

Realisation also hit Thea and she snorted with laughter, "didn't think of that. I'll remember for next time." She said, taking her shoes off and placing them bedside the bed. "So, why're you grounded?"