𝟏𝟎

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎

Maeve sat in the Garrison snug beside John, wincing when the singing in the main part of the pub got louder. Grace entered with a bucket in hand.

"Go play snap with Fin," John huffed when Arthur continued complaining about the poker game. Maeve snorted and crossed her arms.

"Did you want whiskey as well?" The barmaid asked, placing the bucket onto the table. "No, just beer." Tommy said, placing his cigarette between his lips. Maeve tried her best to examine the woman opposite her but it was no good.

"Why no whiskey, Tommy. You expecting trouble?" Arthur asked, only to be ignored. The singing got louder again and Maeve groaned loudly, throwing her head back. "Jesus christ, Tommy. What the hell made you let them sing? Sounds like their strangling cats out there," John tormented, throwing his arm around his niece's shoulder.

"All right, twenty is the play come on." Arthur nudged Maeve, watching the barmaid leave, "but what did make you change your mind though Tommy, hm?"

"Yeah well it's about time, Tommy." John added. Tommy looked at the three of them, "time for what?"

"Time for you to stop shagging whores and get married, Tom." Maeve said plainly, earning a glare from him. "Yeah time you take yourself a woman." John agreed.

"Just play the bloody hand," Tommy sighed.

"You stay the way you are Tommy. Remember what dad used to say, fast women and slow horses.." Arthur began.

"Will ruin your life.." Maeve and John said in unison, a wide grin on both their faces. Lights shined through the frosted glass and they all turned their heads. "Coppers?" John asked.

"No.." Tommy said quietly.

A few seconds passed and footsteps entered the Garrison, the singing quickly quieting down. "Holy shit. It's Billy Kimber.." Harry muttered.

"Is there any man here names Shelby?" Billy asked. A gun fired when he got no response. "I said, is there any man here named Shelby?"

Maeve had a look of confusion plastered across her face and stood to open the door despite both Arthur and John trying to stop her. "She's all right," Tommy assured them.

"Right, you've got three. And a girl if that means anything. But there's no need to come in 'ere and start wrecking the place is there? Maybe if you were just patient you'd have gotten an answer," she said bluntly, standing at the doorway, her uncles and dad soon standing behind her.

"And who the fuck are you?" He spat. "Maeve Shelby." She crossed her arms and quirked one of her eyebrows up, looking him up and down.

"Harry get these men a drank," Tommy gently shoved passed her and nodded at the barman. "Everyone else go home." he ordered.

Everyone scurried out of the pub and Billy Kimber's eyes remained on the ginger girl who was scowling at him from beside the table. The Shelby brothers seated at the table beside Maeve and so did Kimber and his accountant.

Grace placed down a bottle of whiskey. "You go home," Tommy pointed. " But Mr Fenton said-"

"I said go home." He cut her off sharply. Grace glanced at Maeve before she walked away. "I never approved of women in pubs but when they look like that-" Billy said.