fourteen.

DECEMBER SEVENTEENTH | 2016

The running heat was the only thing saving Isabella from freezing to death as she sat parked outside of JFK International Airport, impatiently waiting for Elizabeth to come out and join her in the warm car.

She had a spare crewneck thrown into the passenger seat, and an iced coffee waiting for the blonde in the cupholder. It was only just coming upon two in the afternoon, and they both still had the entire day ahead of them despite Elizabeth's five am departure time. The blonde had texted her twenty minutes ago saying she was on her way out, but still Isabella was waiting.

She didn't want to assume the worst of the situation, but she couldn't help but dwell on all the possible what-ifs that could be keeping Elizabeth occupied. She didn't have to worry for much longer though, because just as she was getting ready to text the blonde again, she came flying out of the double doors with a flustered and panicked expression.

Her passenger side door was opened in a hurry, Elizabeth's face pale and uncomfortable as she shifted her backpack to the floor and closed the door the first second she could.

"The fucking paps are inside." She breathed out heavily, running her hands down her face as she tried to decompress from the situation she'd just been put in. "Hi, thank you for picking me up."

"Hi." Isabella smiled sweetly, "I brought you a coffee. Figured you could use a pick me up if we're going out with Scarlett tonight."

Elizabeth groaned, eagerly reaching for her drink and taking a long gulp of it, the stress melting away from her face when she pulled away from the straw and breathed out deeply, eyes fluttering closed in her silent appreciation for the caffeine. "You don't know how bad I needed this." She moaned her gratefulness, taking another sip before she put it back down in the cup holder. "Do you mind if I strip? Some guy crowded me for a picture and spilled his drink down my shirt." She asked sheepishly, pointing toward the obvious water stain on both her unzipped hoodie and long-sleeved shirt.

"I would wait until we get out of the terminal. We've got cameras right behind us." Isabella didn't mind, but she also didn't want pictures of Elizabeth in just her bra to be flaunted around the internet with a trendy and completely ridiculous headline. After weeks of practically being joint at the hip, they'd seen each other in worse compromising and vulnerable positions. Elizabeth still apologizes for walking into the bathroom without realizing Isabella was completely naked about to take a shower. They didn't care much for privacy anymore; if Elizabeth was sleeping over and she wanted to change, she'd just go ahead and do so. Isabella had quickly fallen into the same routine.

"Ugh." Elizabeth craned her head to see the silver Honda tailing them with a purpose. Two slender men with grotesque facial hair were sitting in the front, one with a camera, and one with both hands on the wheel like he'd spent too long watching the Fast and Furious films. "I swear I wouldn't be surprised if Marcy was the one to tip them off."

"I'm guessing she's still upset?" Isabella frowned, reaching for her smoothie that was in the front of the cupholder.

"Livid. I changed the gate code so she can't get in without being buzzed in by me. I'm sure that'll set her off more when she realizes." Elizabeth laughed. She had to find humor in the situation otherwise she'd crumble. "What is that?" She reached for Isabella's cup, her smile growing when the brunette teasingly rolled her eyes but handed it over.

"A smoothie from the little cafe by Ashley's. It's strawberry, pineapple, coconut milk, and kale." Isabella looked to Elizabeth for her reaction, flicking her blinker off once she'd merged onto the parkway and thankfully lost the two men following them.