10. *Responsible (Leonard 'Bones' McCoy)

(Published February 5, 2024)

   Walking into the Med-Bay was like stepping into another world.  It was clean, neat, and very white.  White sheets, white floors, white curtains, white everything.  Bleach was well loved here, I knew.  It was always a might spooky.  And right now, with the entire room bare of life, it was even spookier.  
   "Bones?" I called.  
   An unsettling echo of my own voice was the only response.  I nodded to myself, crossing my arms and glancing around.  He had summoned me, so he'd show up eventually.  I was not exploring an empty Med-Bay in attempt to locate him.  
   Just as I had anticipated, the dark haired man suddenly peeked out of a previously closed door.  He spotted me instantly, my red uniform likely stark against the white surroundings.  He nodded, gesturing with his hand for me to follow him.  I walked over, ducking into another very white room.  There was a steel desk with white plastic chairs and white walls.  Bones was walking around the desk, occupied with the PADD in his grasp.  
   "So, what d'ya need?" I asked, clasping my hands behind my back.  
   "Emotional support." 
   I snorted.  His usual sarcasm was absent from his voice, but I knew he was joking.  He was the last person who needed emotional support on this ship.  And when he did, he asked in a silent way, like clingy hugs in private.  
   "You don't believe me?" He asked, turning his dark gaze to me.  
   Shaking my head, I stepped closer to his desk.  It was covered in pictures, most of which were medical x-rays.  One bone that was busted completely in half made me shudder and turn my attention back to him.  He placed three final taps on the PADD before setting it down.  His full attention was turned to me.  I gave him a cheesy grin, making him snort this time.  We were definitely a good match.  
   "Seriously, though, why am I here?" 
   "Do you not want to be here?" 
   "I didn't say that." 
   "You seem uncomfortable."  
   "Well, your workspace isn't exactly luxurious." 
   "No place on this ship is." 
   "True, true." 
   Since he obviously didn't have an official reason for calling me, I perched myself on the corner of his desk.  If he wanted company, I was more than happy to oblige.  He watched me, the edge of his mouth quirking up as if me sitting on his desk amused him.  Which it probably was a sight, in all honesty.  Little old me sitting on furniture like a child.  That was me, though; full of childlike wonder.  
   "Did Luna's allergy medicine work this time?" He asked, inquiring about a fellow co-worker who was allergic to the other kind he had given her, which was ironic.  
   "Seems to have.  She's stopped sneezing." 
   "That's good." 
   He wandered around the desk towards me, playing with a picture on the desk top as if to not be suspicious.  I turned to face him, watching his features.  I liked his face.  It showed his frustrated emotions so clearly no matter the situation, yet held mystery beneath his irritable demeanor.  Plus, it was pretty attractive, in my opinion.  But then, I was pretty biased.  
   Slowly, his eyes lifted to meet mine.  He moved to stand directly in front of me, towering over my seated figure.  I looked up at him, quirking an eyebrow in a silent question.  He leaned closer, placing his hands on the desk next to mine.  His lips gently brushed over my cheek, making me smile.  Then, he kissed my jaw.  Before he could move his lips lower, which was where he was headed next, I spoke up.  
   "If you kiss my neck, I'm not responsible for what happens next," I warned with a giggle.  
   He responded with a deep chuckle.  "Is that a good or a bad thing?" 
   "Mmm, bit of both?" I teased.  
   "Do I dare risk it?" He playfully mused, pulling back to look at me.  
   I grinned, shrugging innocently.  He chuckled again, ducking his head towards my neck again.  He hovered just over my skin, purposefully driving me crazy.  Then, at an insanely slow pace, his lips made contact with my neck.  It was just a slow, still kiss, but oh man did it set my heart racing!  I brought one hand up to his head, letting my fingers slip into the thick hair at the nape of his neck.  
   Finally, he pulled away.  I didn't let him play games this time.  I moved quickly and captured his lips with mine, making his laugh into the kiss.  We kissed for a minute, simply enjoying the feeling of our soft lips dancing together.  He pulled away first, gently leaning his forehead against mine.  
   "I needed that," He whispered.  
   "Me, too." 
   He chuckled with me.  
   "You didn't even know that." 
   "Nope, but I did need it.  I'm glad you called me down here." 
   "Might have to do it again." 
   "Might have to." 
   I gently pecked his nose, making him scrunch it.  It was one of my favorite ways to kiss him.  He hated it, but he put up with it just for me, I knew.  I was spoiled.  
   "I suppose I should get back to work," I murmured.  
   He shook his head.  "I think you should call in sick." 
   "I was already working for a good five hours.  I don't think anyone will buy that." 
   "You could catch something in here." 
   "In this soaked-in-bleach place?" 
   "I could be contagious." 
   "The only thing I'm at risk of catching from you is shirking work for kisses!" 
   I pushed him away playfully, earning a grunt out of him.  
   "Hey, I don't usually play hooky." 
   "Me, either!  Let's not start now." 
   He leaned in and gave me another kiss.  "Fine.  Be responsible." 
   I gave him yet another kiss before prying myself from his embrace.  "I think I will." 
   "Supper tonight?" 
   "Of course.  Who else would I eat with?" 
   "There are plenty of guys on this ship who would jump at the chance." 
   "None of them are sarcastic enough, darlin'." 
   He grinned.  "Sarcasm gets ya?" 
   "You should know this by now." 
   "I should, shouldn't I?" 
   I laughed, walking towards the door.  "See you tonight." 
   "Have a good afternoon, my love."