3. Gifts (Dr. Leonard 'Bones' McCoy)

(Published August 5, 2023) 

   I took a deep breath, trying to prepare myself for what I was about to do.  Behind me, my sister hid in a deep doorway so she was almost out of sight and giggled to herself.  She was here to make sure I went through with the thing she had dared me to do.  Knowing this, I continued to stand in front of the Med-Bay doors, taking another deep breath.  After this one, I decided that deep breaths weren't helping to calm my nerves.  My stomach twisted and my heart was pounding.  I had never approached someone I liked before, and it terrified me to think of doing it now.  
   Finally, the Med-Bay doors opened and the very man I had been waiting for stepped out.  He paused when he saw me, raising one usually frowning eyebrow.  His eyes fell to my hands, and mine followed.  The small box of cheap chocolates and one lone short red rose that were in my grasp were eye catching.  Taking one last deep breath and a brave step forward, I held both gifts out to him.  
   "Happy Valentine's Day, Dr. McCoy," I stated, putting on a hopefully convincing smile.  
   He seemed frozen at first, his expression completely blank.  Then, at a painfully slow pace as if he was afraid the gifts might bite him, he reached out and took them from me.  I kept my smile in place, hoping he couldn't hear my heart pounding.  It was almost the only thing I could hear at the moment.  Once the items were in his hands, he cleared his throat.  
   "Um, thank you Lieutenant," He said in his usual gruff tone.  
   "You're welcome." I nervously did a little curtsy, a habit my mom had taught me.  I was sure my cheeks were red by now.  "I'm, uh, I'd better get going." 
   "Hang on a minute."
   He took a step towards me, reaching out his hand to gently grasp my arm and stop my escape.  I hesitated, glancing up into his dark eyes.  His were boring into mine, obviously looking for something.  I didn't know what he expected to find, though.  I was sure everything I was feeling was written all over my face, mostly due to the hot and bright red blush staining my cheeks.  
   "Why me?" He finally asked.  
   I didn't understand the question.  "What do you mean?" 
   "Why did you bring this to me?" He rephrased.  His gruff tone was ever present, but the words were somehow gentle.  
   "Because i-it's Valentine's Day.  You're supposed to g-give gifts to the pe-eople you like." I tried to explain, stumbling over the words a little as my blush deepened.  
   "So you didn't just pick a name out of a hat or something ridiculous like that," He clarified, his eyes still searching mine vigorously.  
   All I could do was shake my head.  What if he turned me away or laughed at me in front of my sister?  Would she be sympathetic or would she just laugh, too?  I pressed my lips tightly together, preparing for the worst.  
   Instead, he took the rose from the top of the box and held it out to me.  My eyes flickered from the flower to his gaze, trying to decipher what this could mean.  Just as slowly as he had, I took the flower from him.  
   "I didn't, uh, I mean..." He cleared his throat again.  "I didn't think to get you anything.  Didn't even know it was Valentine's Day, to be honest." 
   "Oh, I didn't expect anything in return," I assured him.  To show it was true, I tried to hand the rose back.  He simply took a step away, giving me a small half smile. 
   "I didn't expect anything at all," He admitted. 
   This news didn't surprise me.  With his gruff manner, I had a feeling his friends were few and weren't the kind to give gifts on a day like this.  While he probably had some secret admirers, like me, he was kind of hard to approach! 
   "Well, I'm glad I could surprise you." I gave him a candid smile this time. 
   "Lieutenant Reyes," He dropped his gaze for a moment before returning it to mine.  "I was going to get some food.  Care to join me?"
   I nodded, probably too quickly.  "I'd love to!"
   He gave me a nod with that half smile still present.  Then, he turned to head for the Mess Hall and I quickly followed.  I couldn't help but peek over my shoulder at where my sister was hiding before we turned the corner.  To my amusement, she slid out of her hiding spot into the middle of the hallway with her arms in the 'dab' position.  I had to swallow back a laugh at that.  She had definitely earned that dab, as she had been right about me approaching McCoy and it working out.  And for once, I was glad that she had been right!