Chapter Twenty

The violet sky seemed to tremble and gasp at the sight of the ground that was being atrociously assaulted by Mayank's heavy feet. Rage had set his blood on fire; as he rushed along the path that led to Vaibhav's place, his eyes were crimson from humiliation. By the time he reached his destination, the exotic shade of the sky was lost in the arms of almost unadulterated darkness.

The door of Vaibhav's room was kicked open by the furious all-rounder. Although it hit the wall with a tremendous bang, the leader sat still on a chair with his eyes calmly set on the furious young man.

"What the hell is this?" The room shook violently as Mayank's booming voice broke free from the soaring infuriation. "What the hell is this?" he yelled again as his hand flung the rescuee toward Vaibhav. "You made me walk through that hellish jungle to bring back this stupid toy?"

Vaibhav sighed as he gently picked up the stuffed tiger. "Calm down, Aavin."

"Calm down? Calm down? After all this, you are asking me to calm down?"

Vaibhav got up from his seat and took a few steps toward Mayank. "Why do you care about whom or what you have saved? Your job is done. You have passed the test. That's everything that matters."

The all-rounder continued to pant. He nevertheless offered his throat a much-needed rest. "But why did you do this?"

"That doesn't matter either, does it? I know your head is bursting with questions of all sorts, but I have one final request to make."

"What?"

"Give me a little time, Aavin. I beg you."

Mayank raised an eyebrow. "And what do you mean by that?"

"Go to your room and take a rest. Meet me tomorrow at this time. Please, Aavin. I promise you will have all the answers you wish for."

"And why should I trust you?"

"It's my house, and I am not running away anywhere."

"Well yeah, I can see I haven't yet burned this place down."

"So, should I take it as an affirmative?"

"Not in a million years. How do I know you aren't playing one of your stupid tricks again?" asked Mayank, who was once again sensing a surge of anger in his limbs. "I should have figured it out long ago that you are simply messing around."

"I am not messing around or playing any trick, Aavin. I know it's hard for you to bear me at this time, but—"

"Why am I even listening to you? Why am I listening to an old, broken radio that hasn't been repaired in ages?"

Vaibhav sighed. "It's okay. You can blurt it all out. I am not going to be mad at you."

"Sounds like some favor."

"Where's your knife, Aavin?"

"Not against your throat. Not yet, I mean."

"If you don't get all your questions answered tomorrow, you can as well pass it through my throat."

"And your guys are going to stand and watch?"

"They aren't going to be there. No, you have no reason to believe this, but I hope you decide to give me a final chance. C'mon, young man, what have you got to lose at this point?"

Vaibhav was not entirely wrong. He did not have much to lose. "Don't be too pleased with yourself. I can use some rest, that's all."

"Thank you, Aavin."

Flinging an ambiguous glare, Mayank turned around to walk back to his room. He, however, was stopped by Vaibhav.

"Wait," he said. "Don't forget this."