Alyss laughed lightly as she examined his new brown stubble. "I didn't know you were growing a beard."

Will reached up and ran his hand over his now stubbly chin and smiled.
"Well, I didn't exactly get a chance to shave while I was gone, now did I?"

She stroked his cheek, and then leaned in as if to kiss him, but Will surreptitiously leaned away from her kiss, and glanced around, biting his lip. "Look, I think maybe we should continue this somewhere else... anywhere else... than here," Will murmured as he stared uncomfortably at the ever-growing crowd of people surrounding them to watch.

Alyss peered at Will's face and noticed how red it was. How he seemed to be almost shrinking away from the crowd of people behind him, flinching a little every time someone called out his name.

"Will, when I move, you follow me. You need to smile and wave at the crowd, alright?" Alyss started turn but Will stopped her.

"Wait, what?" He sounded shocked.

"Just do it. Ready, go." Alyss turned and, keeping firm grip on Will's hand, she lead him through the now massive crowd, a large smile plastered to her face. She glanced behind her a few times, and saw that Will was actually doing alright. He had a hesitant smile, but he was very pink and wasn't actually making eye contact with anyone. They burrowed their way through the crowd until they reached the large doors that lead to the Baron's anteroom, and dragged the heavy doors open, ducking underneath people. Alyss dragged Will through the doors just as someone actually grabbed at Will's tunic, trying to hold him back. Will shoved the person's hand back out the door and helped Alyss close them. They both stood there, leaning against the doors, finally relaxing in the quiet and not so claustrophobic environment. When Will looked up he noticed Halt and Pauline a little farther down in the anteroom, and Pauline beckoned to them.

Will and Alyss walked up to them just as Halt said to her, "Are you sure it wasn't the Baron? Someone had to have made an announcement for that many people to be there..." He turned as Will approached, and said drily,

"So I see you managed to make it out alive. Pauline and I left a little before you."

"We were just discussing who could be responsible for leaking the information to the entire surrounding countryside that you and Halt were getting home today. Will, how lovely to see you home safe again," Pauline hugged Will and kissed him tenderly on the cheek.

Will smiled at her. "Lovely to see you too, Pauline."

Alyss also exchanged greetings with Halt, and then said, "So who was responsible? I am quite curious to find out who managed to organize that many people to know exactly when you were arriving."

"That's what we've been trying to find out," Halt muttered.

"As I was saying, it can't have been the Baron. He doesn't go out and meet that many people of the surrounding villages often enough," Pauline stated.

"I'm afraid to say it was actually partially my own doing, though it was not intentional. Good to see you Halt, and you, Will," the Barron said as he walked up to the small group.

"Good to be home, my lord, but what do you mean when you say it's 'partially your fault'?" Halt said suspiciously.

"Well..." the Barron wrung his hands, "I happened to go to Jenny's diner about four days ago, and I may have told her when you two were coming home. I suppose some other people may have heard it..."

Halt was already rolling his eyes, and said, "Once you, being you, say something - anything - in that room, everyone will know within minutes. I'm surprised there weren't more people here today."

"True, and who's not to say that Jenny probably went and told some people herself?" Will said matter-of-factly. 

Halt nodded at Will and then narrowed his eyes at the Barron. "Are you sure it wasn't on purpose?"

The Baron nodded. "Of course, I know you Rangers don't like that much of the public's attention. I'll be more careful about it in the future..."

But he trailed off as Halt turned away from him, and said to Will, "I'm going to go eat lunch with my wife. You get to report to the Baron and write up our written report. I don't want to deal with him at the moment." Will glared at Halt but nodded grudgingly. The Baron wisely pretended not to have heard that comment.

"Sorry, darling, but I actually have to go and work up some paperwork with George in the scribe's office. So you'll be dining alone," said Pauline.

"I'll dine with you, Halt! Since Will is busy for another hour or so, I may as well eat with you. Then when Will and Pauline are done, they can join us at Jenny's diner," Alyss suggested.

Halt smiled at her. "Sounds like a plan. See you in about an hour? Will, you should take her on Tug with you so she doesn't have to walk."

Will smiled at Pauline, who smiled back. "I shall look forward to it. I'll meet you up in the anteroom to the Baron's office before we leave," said Pauline. She turned and kissed Halt, and then made her way up the stairs. Alyss patted Will's cheek affectionately, took Halt's arm, and together they walked out the back entrance, chatting pleasantly.

Will looked forlornly after them, wishing he was with them. Then the Baron put his hand on his shoulder and, gesturing to the stairs leading to his office, said, "Shall we?" Will nodded again, and trudged up the steps behind the Baron, resigning himself to long afternoon of paperwork.

**************

I know... You still think this is at least a bit boring. It's still building up, I promise! If you enjoyed reading, please vote and comment! Thanks so much for reading! More coming soon... ;)