Reunion

Will clung to Tug as he yelled, "Slide, Tug!" Tug locked his front knees, leaned back as far as possible without his tail hitting the ground, and slid down the stones and under the gate. He flattened himself to Tug's body as they cleared the portcullis by inches, gasping as he felt one of the spikes brush his back, and then slowed Tug down, murmuring, "Good boy, slow it down, it's all right."

Once Tug had slowed to a stop a few meters from the gate, he turned and looked back at the three Genovesans.

"You failed, Ranger! You never got to the rubies!" That was Mario, snarling through the bars of the portcullis. Guido shouted a string of profanities in Toscan and shook at the bars, his saliva splattering the ground. When Will didn't respond, Mario joined Guido in his impressive swearing. The other assassin, who Will didn't know, just glared ominously from behind the other two.

Will just turned his back and set Tug off in a slow canter toward the camp, ignoring all the jeers, shouts, and glares. "You did well, Tug. Really well. I'll give you a whole bucket of oats when we get back."

Of course. I deserve it. Tug rolled his eyes back at Will, who grunted tiredly in return. "You do."

As Will drew closer to the camp, he could make out the small party of people waiting for him a little ways out in front. Abelard and Halt were standing next to each other, with Pauline, Rodney, Gilan, the Baron... And Alyss. God... What am I going to say to her? Is she going to scream at me? If I'm lucky, maybe Halt hasn't even told her what happened... Yet.

He rode up to the small group and stiffly dismounted Tug, holding his ribs. Alyss ran up to him and threw herself into his arms. "Ouch. Ahhh... Ow. Don't squeeze too hard..." He gasped as Alyss squeezed his cracked ribs.

She immediately released him and said, "What happened to you? You're filthy!" She pulled a handkerchief out of her dress and tried to wipe his face off a little.

Will laughed softly and took the the cloth from her, wet it with a little water from his water skin, and wiped some of the dirt off his face. "Just got a little dusty, is all."

As he wiped his face, Alyss grabbed took his hands, palms up, and examined the rough bandages, asking softly, "And what about these, Will?"

He turned his hands over and grasped hers firmly. "I'm alright, Alyss... I'm alright." He gave her a we'll talk later look. She gazed up into his eyes, worry lines still wrinkling her face, and squeezed his hands gently before releasing them and she retreated to one side of the small welcoming party.

Will turned as Pauline came up to him. "Will, dear, you made it." He gave her a long hug, and she touched his side. "What happened here?"

He couldn't avoid such a direct question and muttered, "I... Got kicked." Will quickly glanced at Alyss, who was now glaring at him. He raised his eyebrows at her, but she just kept glowering. He tried to turn his attention back to Pauline. "What about you? You alright? Nothing broken?"

"Nothing broken," she reassured him, and, seeing the look Alyss was giving him, stepped back next to Halt again.

The Baron stepped up to Will, grabbed his hand, and shook it heartily. "It's good to see you safe, Will. You had us all very worried there."

"Thanks, my lord."

He turned to Gilan, who hugged him. "I thought you were a goner."

Will grinned at him. "I thought I was too." They both smiled.

Gilan continued. "Did you get the rubies?"

Will glanced quickly at Halt, who pursed his lips, then said haltingly, "Well, yes... In a manner of speaking."