Chapter 3

The third time I saw him he asked me questions about the brain and I answered best I could.

Allie's P.O.V

I was sitting inside a little café, tapping away wildly at my computer while sipping on coffee, more specifically, Frappuccinos as I worked on my schoolwork.

College was a stressful monster, which made you lose out on sleep, social lives and most of all sanity. It literally made me stay up until seven in the morning writing essays and highlighting passages out of my way too expensive textbook. I was studying Psychology because I wanted to be a therapist to kids. I had always loved them, and learning about minds was always interesting to me, so I wanted to do this.

Pausing in my typing, I sipped my Frappuccino and surveyed the café. I was one of the only two people in here, and the barista was looking rather bored, lazily leaning against the counter while she twirled her hair around her finger. The lighting was dimmed, which illuminated my laptop screen, and I was sitting in a booth tucked away in the corner. Music was playing softly and I went back to typing; I was writing an essay on how children's minds developed. It was all very peaceful, until two boys came crashing in.

I looked up irritably, my focus broken as one laughed at the other's joke and then they went up to the counter. The girl instantly stood at attention, a stupid smile on her face as she took their order and flirted as they paid. I rolled my eyes and went back to typing.

Stupid girls.

I was on my third paragraph and going strong when all of a sudden a body sat themselves down right next to me.

"What the hell?" I said, rather loudly, so the barista and the other person in the café, a middle-aged business man, looked at me. I stared them down and they eventually looked away.

That's what I thought.

"Now, now, Allie, that's not a very nice way to greet your friends," Luke grinned.

I groaned and felt like smashing my forehead against my keyboard. "What are you doing here?"

"What does it look like?" he grinned, holding up his cup, which looked like another Frappuccino. "Getting coffee."

"Couldn't you go to Starbucks or something? I asked irritably, trying to reread the sentence I had just written.

"That's so expensive," he waved an airy hand. "And you're here, which makes it much more fun."

Just then, his friend, who was the guy wearing the snapback at the party where I first met Luke, slid into the booth across from me."Hey," he grinned, winking. "My name's Chris, which is short for Christmas came early."

I was unimpressed. "Wow, take you twenty years to think of that one?"

Chris laughed. "I see what you mean," he said to Luke. "She's a firecracker."

"Right?" Luke smirked.

I looked back and forth between the two. "You told your friends about me?" I exclaimed.

"Why, you flattered?" Luke teased.

I scoffed. "Please. More like feeling the urge to puke."

Luke chose to ignore that. "Well, to answer your question, yes, I did, because Chris here wanted to know why I was not getting laid."

"You have to be the first girl to turn him down," Chris said. "I mean look at him!"

I cast an eye over Luke. He was fairly attractive, with warm brown eyes like chocolate and brown hair that puffed up in a quiff and a lean build.