Chapter 20: Ace of the Yellowjackets

Start from the beginning

Silence enveloped the atmosphere.

Laura Lee's eyes filled with horror as she clenched tighter on the toy she had always had since she was a kid. Could that really happen? Or was Agami just thinking too far ahead and being a pessimist?

"And you're sure it's going to happen?" Yumi asked sarcastically, asking the exact question that everybody has on their mind.

Agami stood up and faced everyone, her eyes darting at each of them.

"How long do you think that guy was dead before we arrived here?" she asked everybody, but not a single one of them responded.

"Five years? Ten? How long has that plane been sitting out there, unused and rotting?" Agami asked them again.

Still no response from anybody.

"Expired gasoline, cut wires on the engine after being left unchecked by its dead owner-and what about the rust or molds growing inside and outside of the plane?" she said in an obvious tone, as if she were just stating random facts.

"What, none of you thought about it?" Agami asked everyone who was only quiet.

Agami knows what she was doing was wrong. She was hiding the truth of what she saw from them with logical explanations she could come up with to help herself out, hoping for the best that it would work.

"You're sending Lee to her death, and for what reason? Because you want to save Palmer? Killing one to save the other?"

After a long, dead silence, Yumi responded, her tone still the same and hostile.

"Well, you shot it," said Yumi. "I guess we don't have to worry about it anymore."

"Or we could do something to fix-" Mari tried to join in the conversation but was immediately cut off.

"As if we know how to fix a fucking plane or find some new gasoline out here! We're in the middle of fucking nowhere!" Agami told the younger woman.

Ben, who finally got a hold of the situation, stood between Agami and the rest of the group.

"Okay, girls, stop."

He took a deep breath before speaking again, thinking of what to say next.

"What she's saying is true."

His eyes shifted between Jackie and Yumi, who were the ones who seemed to be the most infuriated over the situation. "That's the reason why I don't agree with your plan in the first place."

Jackie rolled her eyes.

"But you girls seemed to be so sure about flying that plane and told me to back off," he added to his statement, still ashamed of how he, as the only adult among their group, was overpowered by the teens earlier. "It's not like I could do anything about it like you said. I have one fucking leg."

Taissa, who was silent on the side, sat down on the ground, now feeling hopeless.

Their chance of getting Van and Shauna, who both needed serious medical attention, was gone. She knows to herself that what Agami said was all true.

That plane is not in condition to be used. She realized that already the first time they saw it. But she ignored that and kept quiet about it for the sake of getting Van out of the wilderness, even if it meant putting their friend in danger.

"If I didn't shoot that plane, I'm pretty sure you're gonna try to fly it again one way or another," they all heard Agami speak again.

The girl then smiled at them, her eyes like they were all knowing.