Chapter 28: The Mark of Prey

A creaking sound from opening a rusty metal piece made out of a big chunk of the plane wreckage—turned into a door—filled the quiet surroundings.

Here, the first sight to see upon entering the shack were the remaining parts of the meat from the bear they killed hanging on a hook, which were preserved after being exposed to the natural cold. And from the size of it, they only have a week—give or take a few days—to have something to eat.

The girl with frizzy hair entered the shack silently. Her right hand was holding a lamp, and her feet mindfully took steps one after another. Misty then extends her arm forward to shed light on what's waiting on the inner part of the shed.

And there he was, lifeless, his corpse frozen for two months.

Misty stared at Ben silently, her face blank, yet her mind couldn't help but go haywire. She never meant to hurt him. She never meant to kill Ben. All she wanted was for him to look at her, but he wouldn't. And that's why she took that matter into her own hands.

She was watching the body silently when a soft voice was suddenly heard from behind that startled her.

"Finally came to visit him," said Lottie in a gentle tone, her eyes going between Ben and Misty.

The other girl fixed her glasses and gave Ben one last look before giving her response.

"I was just leaving," Misty said.

Lottie stopped the girl from leaving the shack, placing her hand on Misty's trembling shoulders.

"Don't," she told Misty. "He needs you."

Lottie's words echoed repeatedly in Misty's ears.

With the girls starting to think of getting rid of Ben's body, she becomes so worried about the situation that she ends up wandering in the shack herself just to check on him. The thought of not seeing Ben ever again hasn't registered with her yet, knowing that he was just lying in the shack and she could visit him anytime if she wanted to.

"They can't take him away from me. He can't leave us yet," Misty whispered.

"You could make that happen," Lottie replied, a smile plastered on her face.

The brunette didn't say anything next after that and simply left Misty alone, who ended up pondering about what Lottie was trying to tell her.

Does she have to beg the girls to not take Ben away from her? Does she need to hide him from everyone? Or maybe she should stay with him in the shack so they wouldn't touch him?

Misty's gaze fell once again on Ben's frozen corpse, a strange feeling crawling on her chest. One that is terrifyingly disturbing to even think of. So she fought it.

She fought whatever thought was running through her muddled mind.

But when did she start walking towards Ben's body?

How did she end up sitting beside the frozen corpse?

For how long had their hands been locked and intertwined with one another?

And so she remembers. Just a moment ago, Ben took her to a park filled with people they didn't know and the opposite. No judging eyes are looking at them, far from any whispers of gossip.

The weather was nice. The sky was clear and cloudy—a perfect time to have a picnic. So they prepared sandwiches and other pastries to bring, cucumber lemonade to drink, and a deck of cards they could use to play.

"You're unique and talented, Misty. Unlike those girls," Ben told her, his left hand moving slowly to hold Misty's.

They were happy. She was the happiest. His words were enough.