𝟑.𝟏𝟐 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙡𝘼𝙙𝙮 𝙠𝙞𝙡𝙡𝙚𝙧

Start from the beginning

"I am not looking forward to seeing that" Spencer voiced.

"In a successful intervention the loved one feels safe, not judged" Hanna told them.

"Great" Aria began, "Right so we'll start all warm and fuzzy and then we have to hit her with the truth"

"So, like a tickle and slap?" Sophie wondered.

"Like a what?"

"A tickle and slap – in theatre?" Sophie repeated, watching as the girls' faces contorted in confusion at her words, "Brecht?"

"Moving on" Spencer stated, standing up from her seat on the stool, "So, Paige was jealous of Ali, we know that she was also jealous of Maya and she was with Emily that night so it was easy for her to set us up"

"Right" Aria nodded, "And she has the other earring so she must have Ali's body, right?"

"If Paige was so into Emily, why would she drug her?" Hanna jumped in, brows scrunched as she talked, "And then why would she drug herself?"

"Hanna, I thought we were all on the same 'A' page here" Spencer sighed arms dropping to her side as she looked defeated.

"We are" Hana defended, "This is a practice run"

"Right okay" Spencer continued, thinking for a moment before an idea popped into her head, "Uh ...drugging yourself is the best alibi ever. It's a classic Sharon Stone move, remember that movie – basic instinct?"

"No"

Spencer halted for a moment, rolling her eyes as the three blank faces staring back at her.

"She wrote a murder mystery novel to cover up a crime that she was about to commit" Spencer explained, "It was actually kind of genius"

"Look, remember I'm Emily here" Hanna said, "We still think that A is working with Mona, what's your connection?"

"Two people who hated Ali" Sophie suggested.

"Yeah, maybe one of them killed her and the other covered their tracks" Spencer added on.

"Or are still covering their tracks" Aria muttered sourly, "by stealing the body and pinning it on us"

"Yeah and the ultimate prize is that Paige gets to keep Emily all to herself" Spencer concluded.

A knock on the mud-room door brought the girls' conversation to a close.

It was time.

The four shared a nod and then Spencer moved through to the kitchen to open the door for Emily. Sophie, Aria and Hanna took a seat in the living room, all squishing together on one couch as they eyed Emily walking into the house.

"Hey Em" Spencer greeted softly.

"Hi" Emily replied blankly. The swimmer made her way into the living room, her arms already crossed and closed off. It was clear the minute she walked through the door that Emily was annoyed.

For a split second, Sophie wondered if this was the right timing to hold an intervention – or whatever they were calling it.

But the thought quickly left her head as she heard Aria speak from besides her.

"You want some coffee?" Aria offered, even though she didn't get a reply.

"Em, you know how much we love you, right?" Hanna started as Spencer took a seat opposite them, "We love you enough to tell you the truth even when it hurts"

"This doesn't sound like an apology" Emily snapped, lips curling up as she shot a look towards Aria.

"I had to get you here" Aria defended, "Okay? I-I'm sorry for lying"